Replace 1979 Chevy 350 manifold 4BBL with 305 manifold 2BBL carb.

I have a 1979 Chevy Caprice with a 350 V8 4BBL.

I would like to take the manifold and 2BBL carb from a 1978 Chevy Impala 305 V8 and put it on the 1979 Caprice.

Is this possible?

Thanks in Advance.

Reply to
chevyengine

Physically possible yes. But I suppose you think it'll get better mileage? It won't.

The primary barrels and jets on the Quadrajet are smaller, you'll get better mileage disabling the secondaries and just driving it that way. The two barrel will throw more gas at it all the time....and isn't jetted for the 350, so you'll have to rejet or if not you'll be standing on the gas harder all the time to make it move anyway....

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Absolutely correct - in city driving, off of the secondaries, the Qjet gives better economy. The 2-bbl is a bit more responsive around town, but you don't have that power to go when you punch it like you do with the secondaries on the Qjet.

Reply to
silicon212

Thanks for the information.

Is there a diagram that would show where the linkage is to disable the secondaries?

Thanks > chevyeng> > I have a 1979 Chevy Caprice with a 350 V8 4BBL.

View this thread:

chevyengine

I wouldn't bother. the primaries in a QJ are really small (which is why you get good economy with them) which means that you won't have any reserve power at all for passing, merging, etc. if you disable the secondaries. The trick is just to train yourself not to use them until you really need them.

nate

chevyeng> Thanks for the information.

>View this thread:

Nate Nagel

Nate is correct here. The Quadrajet is a seriously underrated and misunderstood carburetor. It will do whatever you want if it is properly maintained and adjusted. If you don't floor it often the small primaries are very efficient and economical -- much more so than a 2-BBL which is trying to do double duty as a cruising light throttle carburetor and a full throttle/power carburetor both. If you want to floor the gas pedal the Quadrajet will open up and "honk" nicely.

Don

>>View this thread:

Don

Hi. I'm going to horn in on this question, because I have a similar question, but for diff reasons. I have to replace my 4BBL carb/intake on my 350 because I run this car at a local race track - their rules specify stock block/head, but I need an iron 2bbl intake and a 2bbl carburetor.

Any suggestions on what would work in this case?

Thanks! chgowiz

Reply to
chgowiz

Just curious, but the last 350 I owned in an 85 Van came with a 4 bbl and I believe it was stock so why couldn't you go with something like that?

Mike

Mike Romain

Racing often has very picky rules such as mandating a 2 barrel carb and intake. For example, in my class I can run any cam I want as long as the lift is less than .450", but a set of 305 heads on a 350 will get you DQ'd. (305 heads on a 305 are ok, but a 350 must run a 72cc combustion chamber or bigger and most 305 heads are 58cc.)

For chgowiz, I suggest heading over to thedirtforum.com - there are a couple of good part #'s for 2 barrel intakes... they're probably right in your rules sheets as "not allowed"...

Ray

Reply to
ray

I don't race in a class requiring two barrel intakes, but I have heard the 313 casting number is the best one for these classes. One guy that usually seems to have them is

I've had carb work done through him and been very happy with it, along with the support you get from him if you're having problems has been great.

Reply to
51_racing

If you're still following this, while perusing ebay for good junk, I came across this, thought you might be interested.

way I understand it, this is the one most people want for a two barrel intake.

Reply to
51_racing