Clutch and Transmission

I have a 96 Z28 6 speed. I Recently had my clutch done. Now I have a Center Force dual friction clutch. The shop machined my flywheel and every thing seemed OK but the clutch was a good deal lower now than it was which is to be expected. I also had a problem previously where the gears would grind a little prodominately when I was shifting from 4th to 3rd. I had it to the dealer for the problem as the tranny is covered by GMPP Warranty. They blamed the clutch, clutch was done as previously stated, and the problem with the tranny did not go away. I went back to the dealed and stated the obvious, the clutch is done and the problem is still there. They found the 3-4th syncro were worn and also the blocking rings. GMPP authorized the repair and the dealer overhauled the tranny. Took almost 2 weeks because they had to wait for parts from Lansing, MI. I went to pick up the car yesterday and found that shifting was a real bitch and I really had to force the shift to get it into Reverse and also

1st or 2nd. Told the dealer that this us unacceptable and that when I dropped the car off to them 2 weeks ago that the shifting as fine and now it was hard. He said that the shop that did the clutch should not have machined the flywheel and that I needed a new flywheel because they took too much off. My questions to the group is this. Is the dealer trying to blow smoke up my ass or are they right? Do I need a new flywheel (if he is right) or can it be shimmed. All replys accepted with thanks.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Newton

I vote smoke.

Reply to
FBR

Curious as to Why. Just trying to understand as I am preparing myself for a possible fight with the dealer. Thanks

Fred

Reply to
Fred Newton

Even thought it is certainly possible the technicain did something wrong at the dealer, most flywheels shouldn't be turned because there is simply not enough adjustment in the hydraulic system to compenstate for the material removed from the flywheel.

Reply to
Big Dav160

The thing is that the flywheel was machined and the clutch changed before I bought it to the dealer and it was OK (I drove it for about 1 to 2 weeks before that). After the tranny was serviced this happened not after the clutch was changed. Like I said before the clutch was low but OK when I took the car to the dealer. Just trying to understand. Thanks.

Reply to
Fred Newton

The dealer will blame anything and anyone if they can make a buck. The last place i would ever leave my car is at the stealer, ehh i mean dealer.

All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....

Reply to
Hitman0187

Yeah, you may remember my recent postings about my clutch job on my 1988 Camaro that I recently tackled myself. Anyways, before I did so, I got a quote from the dealer - $852 including parts. Beings how I had a Centerforce gold on the shelf along with a pressure plate and throwout bearing that I had bought back in 1993 (in anticipation of this clutch job), I decided to dive in and do it my self. Cost me $15 (or so) to get the flywheel turned, $9 for a backup-light switch on the side of the trannny that I broke, few quarts of tranny juice, and a few cans of Brakleen and foaming engine clean. (I considered the clutch/pressure plate on the shelf as "free" since it was over 10 years ago)

Reply to
Mr Wizzard