Harmonic Balancer

I'm changing my timing chain. Never done one before. How hard is the Harmonic balancer to remove and put back on. Am I looking at something that is going to be an impending nightmare. Its a tuned port 350

Reply to
Tom

Removing & installing the balancer is pretty straight forward. You remove the pulleys, then take out the bolt that goes thru in to the crank. Install 3 bolts thru the puller, snug them, and spend a few minutes turning a wrench, or a ratchet.

Easy way to install heat balancer in over to at least 200 degrees. Use LEATHER welding gloves, slide balancer over crank key until seated.

As for the chain, the pain in the butt part is you need to drop the oil pan and replace it's seal. If you don't you will have massive oil leaks at the pan and front cover.

Remember to have #1 cylinder at Top Dead Center, align the dot on the crank pulley to the one on the cam pulley.

To change your crank pulley you need a 3 jaw, or a plate style puller. The balancer puller will not work for that.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig