power window motor removval & replacement AND steering wheel stereo contrrols

Hi, I am pretty sure the motor for the driver's power window is dead.

Any hints to the BEST way to remove the original rivets and replace that motor?

Any recommendations on where to purchase - I did not think going to the local Pick N' Pull would be the best bet as they would be used . . .

Just curious if you think my backyard mechanic can do it (he's GOOD)

a friend suggested only going to a dealership and that will break the bank!

Any advice would be appreciated. We have the window contorls etc. out as we are in the process of upgrading the speakers and stereo equpment.

On that note does anyone know a CHEAP place to get the connector for the stereo that has a remote to connect to the steering wheel controls. I found it on Chesterfield but I usually find better resources so I thought I would ask,

Car Info:

95 FIrebird Convertable 6 cyl 3.4 liter automatic, power windows and door locks (the best part is she is Bleu)

Your input is sincerely apprciated. CJ

Reply to
yocj

First off, a used window motor out of a Astro Van will work. They have the Same Hollander Interchange Number. Astro vans rarely burn out the window motor.

Second, have your mechanic test the old motor. Your problem could be wiring (cracked insulation in the door opening is common), a switch problem, or even a bad connector. It is possible to have wiring issues and a bad window motor.

The rivets need to be Center Punched to dislodge the pin in the center. After that drill the heads off, and knock the rivet bodies out. I USED to Rivet them back in place, now Im just using Grade 8 bolts, nuts, lock washers, and in some vehicles lock-tite. You can re-rivet them, but if you have to service the window tracks, regulator, or motor again it's a pain in the back side.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Search ebay, my friend. I found a new set of two shipped to my door for about $40. Here's a link for step by step instructions on how to change them:

window motors in these things are NOTORIOUS for going out after100k. I'm getting ready to do mine soon, and these are some of the bestdirections to do it. What I've heard is that putting bolts in after youdrill and tap out the rivets is the best option, especially if you everhave to do it again(god forbid). Also, be careful, as the regulator isspring loaded, and I have had more than one friend take a trip to theER because the spring whipped his forearm. Hope this has helped. The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak