Newbie :-)

Hello All

Now I find out if this is a freindly group or if I am about to get flamed !

I have just bought myself a 78 firbird 5.7 V8

I found this group but haven't searched the archives yet (ducking to miss flames ! )

So ...

Is there a link to a faq so I can get aquainted ?

or do I just start posting newbie questions that make the old timers cringe (again).

I am in the UK if it makes a difference.

TIA :-)

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Ask away Rich. The flames tend to be on the simmering side of the scale and the regulars here are more willing to help than not help. Don't make up bull dokey stories about what you have done, are going to do, or what you will be doing in the future. Someone will call you an it and have the resources to back it up. Post pretty much anything you have a mind to but prefix it with something to let people know if it's off topic or has a seedier side to it. Please, no commercial advertising, that will get you flamed.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Thanks for that Ron

I am coming from R.A.M.V.A (aircooled VW's) where all is remarkably friendly - (we are all hippies realy ! ) anyhow I saw the firebird on ebay and bought it cuz it 'called' to me :-)

I am happy with my purchase even though the oil light comes on when the engine is warm and ticking over.

So... My question to start me off. Is this something to worry about urgently , or just make a note to see to it soon ?

What are the likely causes - bearings getting tired , oil pump , wrong oil etc etc.

I am a fast learner with a good understanding but new to V8's

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Yes.. welcome to the group... ask away.. lots of good info here... just sometimes have to weed through some junk.

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Tazmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

Well I'd be worrying about it myself, especially if you hear things knocking around in the engine compartment. Worn bearings is what I'd be thinking.

It's unlikely that the wrong oil is the cause. The pump shouldn't be a problem either, it's just a couple of gear looking pieces that create a low pressure on one side and push the oil through the gears.

You can try some 20w50 weight oil and see what happens, it may assist in keeping the oil pressure up. Sounds though like a rebuild may be in order. Probably why the previous owner put it up for auction.

Engines are engines, doesn't matter if it's an opposed 4 cylinder with cooling fins or a liquid cooled V-10. They all operate on the same principles. Find out if you have a Pontiac V-8 or a Chevrolet V-8 under the hood and pick up the appropriate rebuild manual on BN.com or Amazon.com, lots of info in these books.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

That the thing, it sounds sweet ! no knocks taps rattles or anything. And only when its warmed up.

The PO said it was the same when he got it, and it didnt get any worse.

I will try 20w50 and a new oil pressure switch 1st and see if that helps any.

Not sure on the engine type yet. Its not the original so the VIN in the dash doesnt help. Cant find an engine code/number stamped on the block yet either. The inlet manifold is edelbrook torker pontiac but I assume that isn't neccaserily original too.

I have the chiltern, haynes and Jim Hand's books to use if I need to rebuild.

Rich

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

I changed the oil pump in my '68 when the rear main seal was replaced, now the guage reads much healthier.

Reply to
Bruce Porter

Heres another !

The speedometer is in KPH not MPH

I thought that was unusual for a US model or is it likely to be a replacement clock

Reply to
Tricky

Maybe its been imported from Europe. How do you know it is a 5.7litre The Edelbrock manifold is not o/e fitting Best thing to do would be to fit an oil pressure gauge (even if only temporally) to find out exactly what is going on in there. Whereabouts in the UK are you, I am in the West Midlands and have a

6.6litre Firebird in bits again because I didn't pay enough attention to the oil pressure..
Reply to
David Toft

Coventry - neighbour !

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Firebirds were sold in Canada which uses KPH so there is a factory issued speedometer available in KPH.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

It sounds like there is a Pontiac engine in there. Are you sure its a 5.7L

350? The last time a Pontiac 350(its actually a 354ci) was used in the Firebird was 1976. They're not a very common swap. Most people will put in a 400 or 455.

If you look on the side of the block you will see the displacement molded onto the side.

Engine codes are on the front pad of the block around the timing/water pump cover. The two letter code along with the engine unit number is on the right side up close to the block/head parting line. The partial VIN number for the original car it came out of is down low underneath the lower radiator hose outlet. There is also a block part number along with a date code next to the distributor at the rear of the engine.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

left side between plugs and rocker cover "H173" right side between plugs and rocker cover "H153" and "D N"

behind disty "1183 D N"

I think, looking and feeling, thats what they say. I will need to get a lamp out and have a good look.

I haven't found any markings on the front except timing "0 4 8 12" and something small next to it I couldnt make out.

Does this make any sense to anyone ?

I will google too

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Been googling.

found freds pontiac information which showed block casting codes.

From that and the date code I think its a 73 350.

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Not sure again now.

Found the engine ID its YA

Looking around some other info sites

Production number on right hand side at back is 488986 Date ID 1183 i guess I183 Sep 18 1973

So the block production number shows up in 73 as a 350 which is what I thought. But the engine code YA for 73 is 455

will the number that was with the engine code be any help ?

Any GURU site that have all the answers ?

Rich

Reply to
Tricky