T/A at the Track

Here's one of my runs this Saturday, I think it was a 12.90 run.

2.5 meg or so.

poncho462

AWESOME!

AWE!

SOME!

Man, you had that - mustang? - by a couple of car lengths. Sounded groovy Dave. Looked like you pulled a little to the left though, so I bet you coudl shave even a couple more tenths off. Shifts sounded good.

GLK9MM

If you look closely you can see smoke coming out of the back of the car. That's my brand new Hayes 2800 lb clutch going up in smoke. The Hayes is a great unit but it's too weak to hold up to the 462. I made 6 passes on Saturday but had to let out on two runs due to the clutch giving up in 1st gear. I'm going to see a what kind of price a friend can get a Centerforce package for and I'll put the Hayes pressure plate in the vette. I also need line locks, the car is hooking out of the waterbox with the Calvert Racing split monoleafs. So far it still drives nice on the street and I don't want to lose that with a 3 finger clutch.

Best race of the night was a LS1 Ram Air T/A. Every time I shifted I pulled on him. He was probably running 13.0s since I got almost a car length on another 12.90 run. Best run was 12.578 at 110.91 on a lean carb.

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

: >

: > AWESOME! : >

: > AWE! : >

: > SOME! : >

: > Man, you had that - mustang? - by a couple of car lengths. Sounded : groovy : > Dave. Looked like you pulled a little to the left though, so I bet you : > coudl shave even a couple more tenths off. Shifts sounded good. : >

: > Martin : > '01 Formula - MTI Air Box Lid, K&N Filter, Hurst-6, : > SLP Cold Air Induction & Smooth Intake Bellow : > Corsa Catback w/Premium Tips : > '83 V45 Magna : : If you look closely you can see smoke coming out of the back of the car. : That's my brand new Hayes 2800 lb clutch going up in smoke. The Hayes is a : great unit but it's too weak to hold up to the 462. I made 6 passes on : Saturday but had to let out on two runs due to the clutch giving up in

1st : gear. I'm going to see a what kind of price a friend can get a Centerforce : package for and I'll put the Hayes pressure plate in the vette. I also need : line locks, the car is hooking out of the waterbox with the Calvert Racing : split monoleafs. So far it still drives nice on the street and I don't want : to lose that with a 3 finger clutch. : : Best race of the night was a LS1 Ram Air T/A. Every time I shifted I pulled : on him. He was probably running 13.0s since I got almost a car length on : another 12.90 run. Best run was 12.578 at 110.91 on a lean carb. : : Dave

Yeah, I hear great things about the Centerforce.

I was going to ask if you had a tranny brake, but sounds like that'd be a no if you're trying to keep it on the street.

Stock?? T/A running 13? Hmmmm....that's all driver if so. (But it gives me hope!) ;)

GLK9MM

No trans brake but line locks look very interesting. I'll need a two button shifter, one for the line locks and the other for the...oh, never mind. ;^)

That 13 second ET was a swag on my part. I was concentrating on getting the car out of the hole so I really didn't notice much except for that T/A. I didn't know I raced the Ford till I saw the video. ;^) The E heads work great on the 455s. I've heard the LS1s breathe like crazy near the top of the rpm band but I was pulling after every shift all the way to the next shift. I like these aluminum RAIV style heads.

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

Nice run, and a beautiful car. I bet the guy in that late model Mustang didn't even know Pontiac ever made they're own V-8's. Such a shame they stopped. - Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

Gary,

It's funny how many people walk up to ask if the engine is a real Pontiac. I run a modified shaker at the track and it hasn't had final paint yet so there's no 455 stickers on it.

The part I like best about running the car is the electric cutouts, Sorta ricer, but they are worth 2 mph so far. I installed Hemi Super Turbos on the car (RV mufflers) and it's very quiet so if I need a bit of test and tune on the street, the car doesn't attract attention and they make for a quiet car at cruising speed. I keep them closed in the staging lanes and open them up when it's my turn to head for the water box. Usually I get a wide eyed look that says "I think I'm in trouble" from the other driver and it's worth what I paid for them just for that.

Before I get flamed, test an tune on the street consists of a 0 to 35 mph launch in an industrial park after hours to check traction and jetting. By that speed it's pretty obvious what any changes have made. I save the high speed testing for the track.

Now, flame away. ;^)

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:38:43 GMT, "poncho462" puked

That was cool. I'd like to see more posts like that one.

lab~rat >:-)

Okay, here's one more. The staging lanes were closed and it was the last run of the day. I managed to smoke a new clutch disk in nine runs but I wanted to make one more so I took it down to about 5 threads left on the pushrod. A guy in a Monte SS pulled up behind me. A couple of guys in front of me wanted to do a shuffle so they could race. I agreed to move but when I did, the SS followed me up. I wanted the right lane because it was hooking better and I don't know how the guy did it, but they waved him past me and he took my lane. He had all sorts of racing stickers on the car and the exhaust was real loud. We lined up and ....well, I'll let you watch the rest. My wife was down by the timing boards for this run.

About 1.5 Mb.

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:45:04 GMT, "poncho462" puked

Here's a little too much time on my hands with my '66 Elky.

lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Reply to
lab~rat >:-)