what do i do?

Here's the situation:

95, Firebird, Convertable 6 cly. 176k+ miles Runs GREAT (loves to do a minimum of 70 on the freeway -she is just happy there).

Well I had exhaust work done in Spring 2008. New cat, exhaust pipe to new muffler. I worry now about not making California smog in July when it is due in the meantime my top is starting to literally FALL apart. The stitching has disappeared in some places and there are pin holes in at least 3 other places, and the stitching around the window is starting to unravel - what is still there.

Do I replace the vehicle?

Do I replace the top and hope for the best in July when smog is due?

or

Just drive til' she will go no further?

Please let me know. I do regular oil changes, yearly tune-ups etc. I just need some advice. I used to go to my mechanic dad but he passed away and is no longer here to give me advice. So I turn to you. Please tell me what you think I should do! Thanks. CJ

Reply to
yocj

I'm not sure why you are worried about smog. Have you made any other changes? If all you did was replace the cat with another fully functional cat you should be just fine.

Reply to
KQ6RT

I wasn't worried about smog . . until my friend said i should get it "sniffed" (smog check). They put a loud flowmaster on it and it now sounds like the hot rod i am sure she was designed to be! Never expected how loud she would be!!!

Thanks for your input. I love the car - she was my saving grace after I was in a serious accident she is the ONLY reason I like to drive again . .

Any other clues on how to prolong her life? I do regular oil changes, tune-ups, tire rotations.

Thanks again! I am going to check on the top replacement THIS week. : ) CJ

Reply to
yocj

new top on ebay, there are at least one other seller, this is the cheapest

Canvas Top & Vinyl Window. Free Phone Help ALL WEEK! Item number:

180304678764

Does CA have a noise check? otherwise you should be good.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

A new cat and exhust system is maintenance of existing items. You may want to switch out the FlowMaster for an OEM out of a box store (say cheap) just to get it through then put the FlowMaster back in. Can you take it to an inspection station to check the emission before it is due? It may cost the full inspection but there should be no reason to fail it on the spot. Worse case is new spark plugs, two tanks of Shell or Sunoco gas (89 or better) before going in for the real thing.

Once you know that it is legal, then go ahead and replace the top.

I have a 95 Trans Am with 106K (I'm owner # 3 and have owned her for 7 years) now already replaced the head-liner, upgrading to thicker sway bars and having the clutch replaced after the holidays. Next is some spot painting to re-do some body work done by a previous owner. She red with the up-lift spoiler. Turns heads all the time, get waves from other Firebird owners.

Here in Central PA, only take her out when the roads are dry and nain/ snow in the forcast. PA only requries a visual emission inspection (is there a cat under there) and does the gas cap pass a vaccume test. Other then safty items, that is it as 95 is OBD I and does not get checked, nore is there a tail pipe sniff.

But, have had years of fun with emission testing in New Jersey. For what you did. don't worry. Now, if you replace that 6 with a good old Pontiac 400, well, that is a different story!

Reply to
brxsep

thanks . . she is still going almost at 177600 . . .told i am very lucky great idea about the smog. i am just holding my breath with the top just ordered some tent sealer from CampMor (NJ based) for these pinholes. We shall see how that goes and go from there for the top. if she makes it thru the cold and wet weather (no snow here but i'm from eastern PA where there is real weather) . . I will replace the top and keep her going. if not will buy something else until i can fix her better.

thanks for the advice, CJ

Reply to
yocj