"01 explorer valve clatter

Hello: I have a 2001 Ford Explorer 4.0liter V6 that has terrible valve noise when accelerating quickly. When you slow down to a normal speed it goes away. It has 66k miles and has done this since I bought it with

17k miles on it. The dealer has never been any help. Is this a normal Explorer condition or is mine "special"?
Reply to
rovang

Captain Coleman

I don't know if this still applies to a 2001, but there is a jumper fix on earlier models. I should think there is a knock detector on a 2001, maybe that isn't working.

You should get advice from someone who knows the specifics of the 2001 model, I have a 1994. Here's some info on the jumper:

"The jumper, grey in color and about 1/2" X 1", is plugged into a socket that is located in a wiring bundle directly behind the aircleaner (passenger side of car). Removing it retards the ignition slightly and will usually reduce or eliminate pinging."

Someone also suggested cleaning out the carbon deposits, apparently you can buy the solvents and hoses to do that or pay Ford.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

This is the SOHC 4.0???? Sorry, I'm just unsure of the applications....

First consideration would be to identify this as either a spark induced sound or an off-shoot of the ubiquitous timing chain rattle. Both the OHV and SOHC engines could be victim to spark rattle..... spark plug condition or selection and EGR operation can be big players in this type of concern.

I did come across a SOHC that exhibited timing chain rattle during acceleration.... one of the youger techs with better ears pointed it out for me just revving it in the bay.

Now... the only problem is in finding someone interested in customer satisfaction...

Reply to
Jim Warman