02 Ford Explorer 4WD won't work

My wife's Explorer's 4WD won't work. I tested all the fuses, found everything in good shape. Tested the motor and it tested bad, so I replaced the motor and still nothing. Doesn't even sound like it's trying to engage. I am wondering about the module, but I have no idea where it is. Does anyone have an idea on where it is and if I am even going in the right direction? I'm wanting to get it fixed so I can get rid of it because it was a bad investment.

Tj

Reply to
low66396

According to my Hayne's manual for "2001 and later models" the electronic shift control module is behind the passenger kick panel. Supposedly you should get an error code for it. On the early Exploders the module was in the back where the jack goes and supposedly there is a reset button but I've never needed to push it. I don't know if there is a reset button on the newer ones.

Yea, those danged Explorers can be a real PITA. I have three of them and I've thinking of getting another one. Outside of replacing the transmission so far I've been able to fix just about everything else myself. For me the hard part is usually figuring out what's wrong with it. If you get the 4.0 OHV engine these things are generally very durable and repairable. Right now I have a 4WD problem on my '97 that's a mystery. I do, however, expect to find the problem and fix it for not too much money.

Reply to
Ulysses

mine did that .i unplugged the connections near the trans and cleaned ,put dielectic on them and it worked then.

ds549