Question about a 1983 s15 distributor/no spark

I am trying to get this cheap 1983 s15 running for my brother in law...The previous owner said on of his friends was driving the s15 blazer and it quit running and they could not get it started again...I bought it for $300. The s15 is a 1983 and 5 speed and carbureted......sat for about a year. The motor cranks now with a new starter installed but will not fire (no spark) I poured fuel in the carb and ran a hot wire from the battery to the + side of the coil BUT am getting no spark checking with a timing light. I pulled the coil and used it on another car and it fired the other motor...Coil good/Check? also pulled the GM 4 pin ignition module and tested it on a jet boat that I have wired with a GM module to trigger the distributor and it ram the boat motor....4 pin module good/check? Wires look good and have not found any indication why it should not start with the jumper wire to the coil as the new power wire ( the keyed ignition on the column is also messed up that is why I am using the jumper wire to try and get it running before I tackle the column. Even the distributor pickup acts like it should work Ohm tested it while cranking the motor and it went from say .800 Ohm's to OL (open line) and back like it was pulsing????Good test??? Anyone got any bright Ideas with out going to another after market distributor or points? Looking to get this running on the cheap for him...Into it 3 days not after work/getting closer BUT still wont start?? What am I missing?? Thanks in advance, RTE

Reply to
rte

The pick up coil should never read OL on an ohm meter. High to low resistance reading (800- 1500) while cranking is normal due to magnetic reluctance. The proper test would be to measure the AC voltage output from the pick up coil. You want at least 1 volt AC while cranking. You can also do a "scratch test" which involves clipping your 12 volt test light to battery + and then touching the test light probe to the + terminal where the pick up coil plugs in, you should get a spark when you make and break during the scratch test assuming a good coil, and 12 volts going to it and the module and that the module has a good ground.

Any cracks in the magnet in the pick up coil make it suspect (junk) already.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

you say you hot wired the coil, what about the dist and fuel pump....are you getting power to all the right places? Why not just fix the ignition switch/ column first? It has to be done sooner or later...

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

The pick up coil in the distributor, assuming the timing chain/gears are in tact.. Its easier and cheaper to just get a rebuilt dist. and replace the whole thing. The gear has to come off the bottom of the shaft and then the shaft removed. the shaft bushings are probably shot as well.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

U never did mention WHAT size the engine is !

Reply to
tom

Sounds like a poor mans anti-theft.

Run the tach wire to the cigarette lighter, push in the cigarette lighter and presto, the engine won't start.

Reply to
aarcuda69062