'03 Mountaineer V8 Burned A Quart

I noticed that my '03 Mountaineer V8 is almost ready for it's 45,000 mile oil change (I change every 5000). I also noticed that it's down a quart...never did that before. No leaking either. Is this a potential problem, or just normal aging?

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

My 97 never burns, leaks or uses oil, I fill it, and until the next oil change it is still full. I use Mobile One oil and change it about every

7000.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

It may be a sign that you need to change it more often.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

My 99 V8 (which has the 5.0) did that around. 50k.

I rather accidently discovered oil in my PCV hoses. I realized for the first time I had used 5w-20w oil. Went to a heavier oil, and the problem has not returned. You might want to inspect your PCV hoses for oil - it will "pool" in a low spot in the hose. And consider using a heavier oil and see if it goes away.

Reply to
Ross via CarKB.com

Considering that "excessive oil consumption" is considered to be along the lines of one quart in 800 miles, I think you're doing quite well.

If the change is as sudden as you indicate, there may be a cause for concern but I can only offer the advice that you check the oil level at least at every fuel fill or make it part of your weekend routine.... and see how things transpire over the next change interval. It wasn't that many years ago that oil change intervals were along the lines of 1000 miles and, even on newer engines, some consumption was expected.

FWIW.... we should take a few minutes at regularly schedule intervals to walk around our vehicles.... more often is better but even if it is only once a month... Check lights, tire pressures, look for any tattletales.... wet spots, shiny spots, odd looking spots. Many of these may be false alarms but if we catch a concern in it's incipient stages and act on them, we usually can save on expenses in the long run.

I sincerely hope that everyone had a happy and safe new years eve.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

A quart in 5000 miles is not a concern. All engines consume some oil. Those that appear not to consume oil are just replacing the oil consumed with blow-by condensate. Sudden changes in apparent oil consumption are often the result of taking a long trip. During normal day to day operation it is likely that the oil never gets hot enough to vaporize all the blow-by condensate added to the oil. When you take a long trip, the extended period of engine opeartion allows all the condensate to be vaporized and sucked into the intake system via the PCV system. This makes it seem as if the engine suddenly increased its oil consumption, when in fact nothing much has changed.