Do Volvo dealers rebuild, or replace worn engines?

My 94 850 turbo, at 220.000 miles, consumes about a quart of oil between changes. If I decide to go for a full engine rebuild, will they just throw in a factory-rebuilt engine? or will someone in the dealership do it (has anyone with the skills and time to do a rebuild these days..)

I wonder if I can insure the increased value if I go for a total restoration to like-new condition instead of buying a new car?

Doug Warner

Doesn't have to be "factory" rebuild but you will get a "crate" engine from somewhere. Believe me that is what you want.

I wonder if I can insure the increased value if I go for a total restoration to like-new condition instead of buying a new car?

You might be able to get "agreed value" but for that car the cost of restoration will be considerably more than buying 1 new or couple of 3-5 year old comparable Volvos. I have several cars (50 years, 33 years and 16 years old) that I have tried to keep "OEM new". It is an expensive proposition and I have come to realize that due to deterioration and unavailability of plastic parts and OEM cloth I find it impossible to maintain OEM appearance of a car built since about 1980.

Howard

Howard Nelson

Dealer? That would be absurd. Find a local automotive machine shop, someone who does European cars and have them rebuild the motor for you. A good shop can make the engine better than new for about half the cost of getting one from the dealer and the installation labor will be much less too.

Reply to
James Sweet

"consumes about a quart of oil between changes"

how many miles btwn oil changes?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

When the service light comes on, about 5000 miles. I suppose one benefit is that if I hold off adding oil, I have to drain one less quart, and then don't have to empty my wast oil cans as often :-)

Doug Warner

A quart every 4-5000 miles is nothing. Sure, it's more than a newer, tighter engine, and it does indicate some wear, but frankly, I'd live with this rather than use it as a reason to invest in a costly engine rebuild.

If consumption increases to a quart every 1500-2000 miles or there are other problems, think about a rebuild.

You're far too polite and nice. :)

Reply to
James Gifford

When the service light comes on, about 5000 miles. I suppose one benefit is that if I hold off adding oil, I have to drain one less quart, and then don't have to empty my wast oil cans as often :-)

Only a quart every 5K? Scratch my last post, any decent mechanic/machinist would tell you to leave it alone, either change the oil at 5K (if that was done from the start it may well not be burning that quart) or just add a quart. If it's leaking then have the leak fixed but if it's truly just burning a quart I would suggest you live with it.

Reply to
James Sweet

I doubt that any dealers would rebuild your existing engine. The standard these days at a dealership is to replace it with a factory rebuilt engine from Volvo.

Whether or not that is worth it is an open question.

If the only problem is the use of 1 quart of oil between oil changes I certainly would not be replacing the engine.

John

Reply to
John Horner