1996 Explorer Cruise Control will go on

I have a 1996 Explorer and the cruise control does not go on. I replaced the on/off button on the steering wheel twice with used buttons (from junk yard). I repleased the speed control servo with a used one. I did not connect the cable to the actuator cable. At this point all I want is the "cruise" indicator to go on on the dashboard and it does not. The diagram in the Chilton manual (1991-99 repair manual) shows a "deactivator switch" on the front of the brake fluid reservoir (there are elecrical wires on on the front and the other on the side of the reservior). Is that the deactvator switch or is the deactivator switch the break switch? The brake lights are working so I eliminated the break switch. The manual also says to check for a "short or open in the cruise contrl circuit". How do you check the circuit?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex
1) Shot-gunning a problem by replacing part after part after part is rarely a good strategy. 2) The Chilton is barely worth the paper that it's printed on. If you are serious about maintaining your own vehicle, get the real factory manual. CD/DVD versions can be had for peanuts on ebay. For diagnosing cruise control circuitry you will also need a multimeter and some basic understanding of electricity. Without a decent manual, some tools and willingness to learn how things work, you are much better off heading to the professionals, regardless of how much they charge.

The deactivator switch is round, about 1" in diameter. The other set of wires at the master cylinder go to a low level fluid sensor (looks like a stick through the reservoir). The deactivator switch is the subject of a recent massive recall, due to rare but horrible fires that were caused by its failure. This may happen even when the ignition is off and the vehicle has not been driven for a long time. For your peace of mind go to the dealer and have that recall done. Unless the switch has already failed, all they will do is install an inline fuse.

Having said that, I don't believe that the cruise indicator will turn on unless you are driving the vehicle and the servo is actually in control. So with the cable disconnected you won't be able to tell anything. There is a diagnostic procedure for the cruise control, which consists of pushing buttons in some particular sequence, and the indicator light flashing responses. Not sure if this was in effect for the '96 and I don't want to confuse you with the one for my '98, because it may not work for you. I remember at least one version being posted here some time ago -- Google for it if interested.

Reply to
Happy Traveler