1997 Explorer Instrument Gauge (and more) Lighting Problem

Hi folks! I have googled this issue without much success.

Our 1997 Ford Explorer has now lost illumination to the headlight switch, gas gauge, lower half of the temperature gauge, turn signal stalk, and left-side steering wheel cruise control on/off switches. A left-sided burn out! The instrument cluster dimmer control wheel and left-sided power mirror controls are also not lit (although some have suggested they are not illuminated anyway).

The turn signal stalk, fuel gauge, and temp gauge lights are a recent burnout. The headlight switch and cruise control lights have been burnt out for years. I thought I'd try to fix all at the same time if I have to start tearing the dash apart.

Anyone have any experience with this problem? A specific culprit fuse? Relay? Individual bulbs?

Thanks for any and all help.

Reply to
Custers

I've seen some stores with LED based 194 bulbs. THese are more money but you shouldn't ever have to replace them again.

Reply to
JaWise

I have a 1999 Explorer and just replaced all of the bulbs in the instrument cluster. It was my first time and took about two hours. Knowing what I know now, I think I could do it all in 30 minutes. Here's how:

1) Remove the 4 hex head screws on the lower panel below the steering column. 2) You must now remove the two hex head screws holding the Hood Release handle to the panel. 3) Now you must remove the medal panel you'll find underneath -- 5 hex head screws. 4) Remove the plastic steering column cover -- 3 Philips head screws. 5) Remove the two screws under the radio face plate and pull back the entire trim piece housing the radio and climate control. You don't have tpo remove it. 6) Lower the tilt wheel as far as possible. 7) Remove the hex head screws in the plastic dash bezel and now shimmy the entire trim piece off to expose the instrument cluster. 8) There are four black head hex head screws in the corner of the instrument pod that you now need to remove. 9) Slide the instrument pod out enough to remove the 5 light bulbs. They are the black or gray holders that turn out counter clockwise. Replace them. 10) Reassemble the dash in the reverse order.

The entire procedure is much easier than it sounds and all hex heads are

7mm and 8mm fittings. The replacement bulbs cost me a whopping $8. This was quite a satisfying repair considering the dealer wanted close to $300 to perform the work.
Reply to
njprman