1998 Mountaineer V6 stalls after start

I bought this car new and it has only about 35,000 miles on it. It starts instantly but for the last couple of weeks it will stall immediatly after starting. It restarts instantly and is runs perfectly after that. Problem may occur maybe once more later in the day. Air cleaner was replaced 5000 miles ago, plugs are original. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ken

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Does it stay going if you step on the gas after starting?

Could be the IAC - clean or replace:

Al Williams

Thanks for the reply. Can't say if it keeps running if I hit the gas because I never tried--as soon as it stalled I turned the key and it instantly(seem like not even one crank) restarts after the stall and runs fine with foot off the gas. I'll check and follow the steps in the link you provided--that's a great link by the way.

Ken

Al Williams wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

wow, driven ten miles a day for ten years.....Truck sits a lot no doubt. Hoses age, water condenses, unexersised linkages stiffen i suppose....What ever it prooves to be, it is certainly worth the trouble fixing. Good luck with your low milage truck- I'm jealous!

Reply to
Darby OGill

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Your symptoms don't exactly match the IAC issue, but it can't hurt. If this is the SOHC engine (and I assume it is) then other things to look at would include:

- intake manfold gasket leaks (many have had complete failure of both upper and lower gaskets - mine did but it basically didn't run at all until it was fixed)

- MAF sensor (google explorer MAF for a cleaning procedure)

You may also want to verify you've got all the recalls / extended warranties on the SOHC which include (from memory) - throttle body, timing chain tensioners, upper intake gaskets, cruise control switch.

Reply to
Al Williams

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Reply to
Big Shoe

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

It's been a number of years since I sold the '99 and I don't remember for certain. I think I bought the valve at Autozone for around $40.

Reply to
Big Shoe