1999 Sport Control Arm?

This weekend my truck (1999 Explorer Sport) was in for service for an anti-freeze leak from the engine block. While the technician was changing the soft plug and gasket he told the service coordinator that my "left control arm was loose" and needed replacement. I was unable to get the service for the control arm completed at this time because they said it was going to be a $500.00 job and the anti-freeze leak was already going to cost me $325.00 to fix.

My questions are [1] What is the control arm? Is loose really bad? [2] What are the symptoms of a loose control arm? [3] Is my safety in jeopardy? [4] Are the 1999's or explorers in general prone to suspension issues? Every time I take the truck in for service they find either a loose ball joint, control arm, or tie rod bad?

Thanks Amy

Reply to
Amy L.

I doubt if your control arm is bad. In 35 years of driving I have never had to replace a ball joint, or control arm bushing on a car less than 10 years old (this includes multiple vehicles that have gone over 150,000 miles). I suppose if you are in a high salt state or if you do a lot of dramatic off road driving, then you might wear things out faster, but I doubt it. My Fathers 1999 Ranger with front suspension similar to yours has spent a great deal of time in the mud and on gravel roads and everything is as solid as it was 70,000 miles ago.

Still, I suppose it is possible you are unlucky and something has failed. Most likely the bushing are loose, since there is nothing else on the control arm that can wear except for the bushings and the ball joint. You did not say which control arm, but assuming it is the upper control arm, $500 seems too high. A whole new upper control arm from Ford, including bushings and a new upper ball joint is around $130 list price. It might take 2 hours to replace (probably less), so figure $200 for labor (probably less and $50 for a front end alignment. Total cost, worst case should be $380 (and really should be less than $300). A lower control arm might cost more to install because the torsion bars attach to them. The actual lower control arm is actually less expensive than the upper, around $105. This price includes new bushings and a new ball joint. Because the torsion bars and sway bars connect to this arm, a little more labor might be required, although access is actually easier. So figure on 2.5 hr max. labor, or $250 (probably high) and a $50 alignment. So the lower control arm should be $400 max., and probably less.

I suggest you ask around and find a good independent alignment shop and have them check the truck's alignment. Don't precondition the technician by asking about the control arm. Just wait for the alignment results. If they also mention the same control arm, then you should get it fixed. There are honest shops out there, so ask around till you find one.

Ed

"Amy L." wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White