2002 Explorer Seats

A friend has a 2002 Eddie Bauer that she likes, except for the front seats. They worsen her back problems. Adding a back rest and seat pad have not helped. She is at the point of either replacing the seats, or replacing the car.

There are other posts in this newsgroup on the same subject, but I saw no good solutions.

Are there aftermarket seats that would probably work well, or can her seats be exchanged with those of other years/models? She is tall, if that matters.

Reply to
TomC

Big Shoe

Big Shoe;

I had forgotten about Recaro. Actually the Recaro website doesn't describe the seats nearly as well as some vendor sites.

You are right, they are not cheap -- about $1200 - $1500 each for the least expensive seat that "looks right," plus installation...

Still, might be worth it. Thanks.

Tom

Reply to
TomC

Reply to
Jonah

Hi Jonah;

The Recaro idea was shot down tonight because of the expense. Anyway, I'm not sure what to think of a company that actually sells a seat called the "Furious!" (

). Apparently Recaro is pursuing the lucrative market of road rage maniacs. The main ideas I have now are (1) contacting Ford and asking for suggestions, (2) turning a car upholstery shop loose on the old seats, (3) finding something(?) on eBay, and (4) checking wrecking yards for Explorers with better seats. The problem with the latter two is that I don't know if any seats besides the originals will fit the mounting rails (or whatever they are called), and improvised seat mounts are probably dangerous.

Tom

Reply to
TomC

Ross;

Good suggestions.

So far I've found the name of a good local upholstery shop, and learned from a guy in the parts dept of a local Ford dealer than seats from any year with the same body style would probably fit without modification. I will call some junkyards next week, see what's available.

I'll look for that airbag sensor if I replace the seats, thanks.

Tom

Reply to
TomC

Reply to