2002 Limited Purchase Questions

I am looking at an `02 Limited with 41K tomorrow. The previous owner said it has essentially all the options except for a DVD player. It has the V8 and Automatic 4 Wheel Drive button instead of Full Time AWD. Can the truck be driven on dry roads while in 4 wheel mode? Is the Automatic feature useful? Consumer Reports gave the 2002 a "red" warning for problems... the only year to get it. Should I run the other way? Thank you very much in advance. _____________________ Address bot resistant and human safe

Reply to
S.P.

I have an '05 Limited with the automatic 4WD. This system senses rear wheel spin and automatically engages drive to the front wheels as needed. There is no "off" position, just automatic 4WD, 4WD and 4WD low. The default setting for the switch is automatic 4WD and this setting is suitable for about any driving situation unless you feel one of the other settings is needed. For example, if I am driving in snow and feel 4WD is needed, I turn it on manually. As with any 4WD I know about, it should not be engaged on dry roads.

Can't help you much with any advice about the '02 model. You can search through Google to f>I am looking at an `02 Limited with 41K tomorrow. The previous owner said

Reply to
Big Shoe

I have an '02 XLT V-8 with Control Trac. I assume this is what you are talking about - three buttons, labelled something like AUTO 4WD, 4WD Hi, and 4WD Lo. As Big Shoe said, for normal driving, the default is AUTO. Don't use the other positions on dry road - use them only if you specifically need them, then go back to Auto.

At this point, 120K miles with NO complaints (except that I am not wild for the transmission shift pattern when towing a trailer).

S.P. wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey