Brake lights out

I have a '94 Explorer. The other day I noticed my brake lights were completely out. I checked the fuse, the wires for a short and the brake
switch shows continuity when the pedal is pressed. I noticed another thread of the same nature, but it continues on without mentioning what the fix was and then they talk about wireless networks and such. Also, I noticed behind the back driver side panel where the rear window wash resevoir is located, there is a box with a heatsink and many wires coming from it. What would that be? My haynes manual appears to not cover it at all. Just curious. There are also 3 relays that are not covered in the same area. What are they for?
From the brake light switch, the circuit goes to the multifunction switch - when the turn signal switch is "at rest", it redirects this feed to the turn/stop lamps...
If the car has a tilt wheel, look for pins pulled out of the connector or broken wires where the column swivels.

I'll look into that, though probably after the weekend, thanks for the tip
The relays by the rear window wash resevoir are part of the trailer towing package. When you have the wiring harness plugged in behind the rear bumper it activates the relays. Rt turn, Lt turn and brake is what the relays control IIRC. They also click quite noisily when you touch the brake pedal. HTH, -steve
It would not surprise me if replacing the brake light switch fixes your problem. Make sure you put the cotter pin back in and snap the plastic connector back on to the electrical fitting.
Please post what fixed your problem.
-Sam in Raleigh.

I recently had the same problem on my 99 and the stop light switch on the brake pedal was bad. Be sure to look at your current one before going to buy a new one. The clerk looked it up on the computer and, based on vehicle manufacturing date, brought out one that was completely different. I asked to see the other one for 99 which, as it turns out, was the right one.
--
Jerry

Sam wrote:
Well, I tested the brake switch and I get continuity when I press on the pedal. Is that the best way to test it? I will also post if I find out the problem.
Dude...your talking about a part that is real cheap to purchase.
Post what fixes it.
Thanks,
Sam in Raleigh.

Sam, if I replaced every part I thought was working, I might as well buy a whole new truck, becasue that would be cheaper. I tested the switch and it appears to work. But on the off chance, I'll go get a new one maybe today or tommorow. I'll let you know
Sam wrote:

That's what I thought too. But jiggling the switch would get it working for awhile. But it just didn't sound right to me. I finally decided to get a new one. Only cost $10 and it fixed the problem.
TetsuoH via CarKB.com wrote:

I bought a new switch, didn't do the trick.
Jerry wrote:

why don't you read Jim warman's post again instead throwing parts at it
Those connectors go bad alot resulting in pushed out pins

the
the
Yeah, I intend to, just waiting because I can't see anything loose without taking the dash out.
JohanB wrote:

Well, I didn't see anything loose. I'm gonna cave and take it to a shop. I'm not that electrically gifted and probably missed something.
TetsuoH wrote:

Thanks though!!
TetsuoH wrote:

I took it to a garage and they showed me a coupling that was totally corroded. It seems that one side was a different metal than the other. Whoever had the vehicle before me must have had a problem with it also had a problem and replaced the part with a different year or even a different vehicle. Brake lights work fine now.
TetsuoH wrote:

Dude that is awesome...that it is fixed!! Let me ask you...where is the coupling you are talking about so I can check the condition of mine.
Thanks,
Sam in Raleigh.