3.73 Limited slip Axle ? - Do I need it?

This is an option on the new Explorer. Is this something I need for snow or it it a trailer pulling option and will kill my gas mileage?

Reply to
Craig

Limited slip will make a difference in gas miles.... possibly several ounces over the life of the car....... I am unsure of the ratio options available for the new model (there's just too much other stuff to try and keep track of). Higher numerical ratios mean higher rpms at cruise..... usually result in more fuel consumption. Given the option, I would go with the LS..... having it and not needing it is a much better scenario than needing it and not having it....

Jim Warman

The standard one is 3.55.

How much of a driving difference is that?

Reply to
Craig

It really only matters if you plan to tow at the high end of the rated tow capacity. If you basically are just going to be driving it like

95% of us, either axle ratio is OK. The limited slip is someth>The standard one is 3.55.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy