1996 V-8 AWD Engine vibration

OK..I hope one of you has an idea what may be up with my Explorer now. I took it to a radiator/aircond. shop to pull the rad and check it out, plus service the AC because it seemed to be losing it's cooling power. My water pump had some play in it, and was making weird noises, so I got them to Re and Re that as well.

Here is where it gets stupid. The kid doing the re and re broke off one of the bolts into the block, so to properly fix it, I was told they had to remove the timing cover. I picked up my truck today and all is well. Everything seems to be in order and looks normal. I pay the bill and drive away but I only get about 3 blocks when I need step on the gas hard......VERY strong vibration from the engine. It went away when I took my foot off the gas.. I took it back and had the owner of the shop drive it. He noticed it right away as well. We went back to the shop and put in under load in front of his shop (brake and gas at the same time). It seemed fine. I looked all around for loose plug wires and anything obvious, but nothing.

Now, after driving it for an hour, I have noticed a couple things:

It seems to be engine RPM related as soon as the engine climbs over 3000 RPM it starts to vibrate badly. The fan clutch seems fine, as do the pulleys on the crankshaft and all idlers.

Now, they had to remove the harmonic balancer to remove the timing cover. Is there anyway they could have forgotten to reinstall any part of the balancer. I am very used to older chevrolets, but never had the pleasure of working on a small block Ford.

I thought they may have jacked it up and bent the front driveshaft with the jack , but it is not speed related ...it is RPM related.

any ideas for me to follow up on guys? (and girls) Kindly respond to this group. Ken

Reply to
Ken

How about when you rev the motor to 3000 in neutral? Any vibration then?

Jim Warman

Sounds to me like the Harmonic Balancer slipped...

Try taking off the serp belt, as suggested and see if you still have the vibration. If so, you can eliminate the water pump, A/C compressor, etc...

If it DID slip you can get under the truck and try to turn the outside of the balancer by hand and see if it has slipped.

Reply to
chief_wiggum

hey thanks again for the tips on the vibration I had. Turned out to be the fan clutch.

I have another question for the group on the same vehicle. (1996 Explorer,

5.0 Litre, AWD)

I have a rattle (sort of like a bad belt) that seems to be coming from camshaft position sensor (partman at dealer's name). This sensor is where the distributor was on older, non electronic ignition, models. As a matter of fact, it drops down into the engine just like a distributor and has a stator ( i think) at the top.

I think the noise I'm hearing (when engine is cold) is coming from the "shaft" part of this sensor. Apparently, you can buy the top and bottom of this unit. The part's guy told me that the bottom (shaft part) does have gears in it. I would think that this is the peice I need.

My question is: can I purchase the part and just interchange them simply...or can I seriously screwup the timing of my truck and not be able to restart it after the swap. I'm used to the older generation stuff, and from experience, it is tricky to get the gears to remesh in the same position again

any tips?

Ken

Reply to
Ken