4.0 OHV Idle Problem

1995 4.0 EB with 135K miles. Runs great - usually. For just the second time (last time was about 4 months back) would not start after a 20 mile freeway ride. After a brief stop, immediately stalled out when starting, and even feathering the gas did not help. After abou 15 tries in a 1/2 hour period, was finally able to feather the gas enough to not stall out. Drove home about 5 miles, riding the gas and brake (while slowing down or stopping) to keep from stalling. After I got home it started right up normally with no problem.

No check engine light, and I doubt that I could find any problem with the IAC valve when its running right. Before I change out the IAC valve

- wanted to see if anyone has experienced this intermittant problem, and if the IAC valve was the actual cause.

--Len

Reply to
Len

Most of the time, with the symptoms you describe, its the IAC valve. Try removing it and cleaning it first with WD-40. If that does not work, you might need a new one.

Reply to
Mikepier