rough idle/stalling on 1989 Cabriolet

Hey folks. I have a 1989 Cabriolet that, overall, is a great little car. But lately when I drive it, when I come to a stop the RPM's go way low (~200-300), and fluctuate between there and around 1000. This fluctuation is pretty rough for maybe 30 seconds or so, then it smoothes out and settles around 700. And yesterday it got even worse -- I drove home from work and stopped at the grocery store. From when I pulled into the parking lot at the store, and then when I left the store on the way home, every time I came to a stop the car stalled. It always started right back up no problem, and idled smoothly at ~700 RPM's. But next time I came to a stop, it stalled again.

Any idea what might be the problem? I saw something like this earlier this year, but it wasn't as severe (the idle wasn't as rough; it would just dip once upon slowing down/stopping). I had the valve cover gasket replaced, which fixed the issue. But the problem is back, and worse than before. Any help you can give as to what I can look at would be appreciated. I'm not much of a mechanic, but am willing to do basic stuff on my own.

Thanks!

Corey

Reply to
Corey

automatic? check that large intake manifold boot for looseness or cracks check for other vacuum leaks too

how is the idle when you step > Hey folks. I have a 1989 Cabriolet that, overall, is a great little car.

Reply to
one out of many daves

It's a manual transmission (as is my 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T, which is a blast...and off-topic -- unlike the other 2003 Jetta mentioned in recent posts, mine does not have cupholders above the stereo; there are two cupholders in the console, and that's it. I don't know if having the Monsoon audio system is the difference there or not...)

And now that you mention it, it is when I hit the brake pedal that the idle dips (or, in the case of yesterday, stalls). What is this indicative of? (forgive my ignorance on this...)

Thanks.

Corey

Reply to
Corey

Reply to
one out of many daves

Turned out to be fuel injector seals. Those have been replaced. It was still idling a little low, so I adjusted that. Now it's running great. Hopefully it'll stay that way!

Corey

Reply to
Corey

Great you fixed it! and thanks for the update too! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1