4.0L SOHC Cam Chain Problem

If you're familiar with these, I'm trying to understand how this works, and what the problems are. Near as I can tell, it works like this:

There is a separate cam chain and tensioner for each head. The cam for driver's side head is driven by a chain on the front of the engine, while the cam for the passenger side head is driven by a chain on the rear of the engine. A "jack shaft" apparently drives both cam chains. The early tensioners and guides were not reliable, resulting in noise as the chains chewed up stuff around them, resulting in metallic debris in the oil.

The front chain assy can be repaired in the vehicle, but the engine has to be removed to repair the rear chain assy. The chain tensioners have been revised at least twice, as the original design and first redesign were not reliable. Ford repaired these problems under warranty for 7 yrs or 70K miles, or some say 7 yrs or 100K miles.

Does this sound right?

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

I found description of the the cam chains on all the engines at AutoZone, including the V8 and both 4.0L V6 engines. Scroll down to find the engine you're interested in:

4.0L SOHC Engine (VIN E)

On the 4.0L SOHC engine, there are four chains which are used to time the camshafts and balance the engine. There is a jackshaft mounted in the middle of the engine block. The two camshafts are connected to the jackshaft by two chains. The jackshaft is connected to the crankshaft by a third chain. Also, a balance shaft assembly is chain driven off of the crankshaft and timed to the rotation of the engine.

In order to remove either of the camshaft timing or balance shaft chains, the jack shaft chain and sprockets must first be removed. Once the jackshaft chain is removed, the left-hand camshaft and the balance shaft chain can be serviced. In order to remove the right-hand camshaft chain, the jackshaft must be removed. Additionally, in order to service either camshaft chain assembly, the cylinder heads must be removed.

According to the manufacturer, the engine must be removed in order to service the timing chain and sprocket assemblies.

Reply to
carbide

Hello,

Where can I confirm the warranty by intenet (I'm outside us...)

Regards

Reply to
Peterix

I remember seeing the letter about it quite a while back(this was for my '98) but I don't think I still have it. The warranty was extended to 7 years or 70,000 miles. I think the time has run out by now in any case--1998(or 1997 if it was purchased new in the fall of '97) to fall of 2006 exceeds the 7 years.

Ken

Peterix wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris