Freelander TD4 cam chain

I know freebies arn't that well catered for here, but hey, i've got a 96 Disco Commercial TDi as well :-) I've recently bought this Freebie TD4 Auto. Bloody good car. I'm just interested in what it sounds like though. I know that the cam is chain driven, but should I be able to hear it? Tick over is fine, but rev it at anything above 1500 rpm and it reminds me of a 1980's Mini Metro. I'ts not objectionable, but its under warrenty at the moment, so if its going to go of bang, i'd like it to do it asap!

Any one with any thoughts.

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty

hard. Even the dearlers demo with 20miles on the clock. The 1st one covered 135,000 miles with only one major problem, which was a fuel pump failure.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Richardson

Thanks for the rely Nigel. I test drive 3 if not 4 before I bought this one, but can't say I noticed this chainey noise although having said this, never realy ran any of them any faster than tickover with the bonnet up. Glad to know i'm not the only one though. The engine iself is pretty quite, which I suppose highlights the chain noise. Other than this i'm very please with it. Off road, it also performes better than I had imagined.

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty

reminds me

It is odd that no one has brought this up, but here is my suspicion anyway.

This machine is a '96 and IIRC the TD4 might well have been a mere twinkle in LR's eye at that time. While not being sure of the timing, I suspect that engines of this vintage were Rover's own 2.0 engine which have belt driven injector pumps and valves. It is a fairly noisy engine compared to the BMW engine designated as TD4.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Sorry Huw, but I haven't just spent 12K on a vehicle and I don't know what engine it has in it! I is definalty a BMW built 2 Litre, twin cam, four valve, common rail diesel engine.

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty

"Lofty" >

LOL Fair enough. A whole lot of people just don't have a clue what is under the bonnet though. Does someone know when the BMW engine was introduced then? I remember test driving one of the first TD4 engined machines but cannot put a date on it. It feels like it was not going on eight years ago to me.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

What - you mean there IS an engine under all that plastic in my Disco TD5 ! No sign of it when you lift the bonnet

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"Andrew Mawson" > >

Disco TD5 !

Maybe someone nicked it overnight and just left the plastic :-(

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Hi Huw,

It wasn't eight years ago I'm sure. But then again, the OP never said it was a 1996 machine. He said his Disco was though. :-)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

"Tim Hobbs" >

Aha. Ahem! Yes, I see what you mean. Maybe it is a new Freelander then? He did mention a warranty. Thank goodness. I thought I had amnesia and had lost two or three years of my life :-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

At 12K I'd guess it's just over three years old and come out of someone's lease.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Your right gent's... 12K bought me a Freebie Auto TD4 32K miles, first registered Dec 2000. Its got 12 months dealer warrenty. And yes, my Diso 300Tdi is a 1996 Built right in the midst of the mis-aligned cam pulley, but don't lets go their:-)

Nobodys told me if the sound my TD4 makes should remind me of a 1Lt Mini Metro my grandfarther used to own 15-20 years ago!

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty

Mines not noisy until about 3500-4000 Rpm (a little rattly),so I'd be getting it checked out to be on the safe side before you do even more damage if it does go bang. Could be just one of the tensioners.

Scotty '01 TD4

Reply to
landy

Urrrrr. Thanks for this advice Scotty, all be it not quite what I wanted to here:-)

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty

Sorry....:) but I think you'd perfer to hear it from me than that gut wrenching bang of valves and springs going south!! LOL

Like I said, from just above idle, you couldn't pick that mine was a diesel, then about 3500+Rpm there is a slight rattle from the chain. I don't hear it that often cause you don't need that many revs for these things to get cracking,I find 2500-3000 Rpm is the most you need and it performs the best.

Good luck, hope it's something simple to fix Scotty

Reply to
landy

Thanks for this Scotty. As i've said, its under dealer warrenty for the next

10 months, so i've got a while to sort it. I just need to know what i'm talking about before I approch the dealer. First up, i've got to get my head under the bonnet of another TD4 to compare the noise it makes. Don't know if i've mentioned before, but it has an auto box, not that that should make any difference.

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty

Another idea is to try some of the forums I use to ask around, like

Here are some sites that may help you too
and this one,it's a really long URL so you may have to paste it together to make it work,but it has all the info. for the freelander,
Hope this helps you out.

Scotty

Reply to
landy

wtb7o6uly25r4t4jvuldger5v5tw4zscunlck363pfqrupph/Land_Rover_Freelander.pdf>

THT!

Reply to
FireFox