4WD on '93 Explorer

I have been having problem's with the 4WD on my 1993 Explorer. It is stock, and has 115,000 miles on it. I bought the truck in the spring of 2002 and the 4WD worked great. I go to school in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and during the winter I had problems getting the 4WD to engage. Once I got it to work it would run fine, but after I turned it off I would have problems again. After the weather warmed up, I didn't have any more problems. I have read many of the articles on this site, and believe I need to clean the transfer case motor before it gets too cold again. Does anyone have any extra insight as to what the problem could be? Anything you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Scott

Reply to
wolve120

Since the 4x4 select is electromechanical, it could be anything from the switches to the GEM to the wiring to the motor to the motor itself. I'd go with the motor or switch assembly built in to it.

see: Fixing the Transfer Case in this link:

Excellent article

Reply to
rakster