95 explorer transmission

1995 explorer, 160000 miles still looks and runs new. Wife and I are the original owners and last week it started acting up. OD light is flashing and while it drives fine there seems to be difficulty with the transmission coming out of gear or the torque converter unlocking when it comes to a stop. Contacted the dealer and am bringing it in but won't pay the 2800 for a new tranny(not sure if it needs one but over the phone I asked worst case).(we bought a replacement this week) This has been THE BEST vehicle we have owned and would not sell it with a problem so any ideas? (would also not put 2800 into a car with a 5000 blue book)
Reply to
Michael Seeley

My 95 also started doing that, then my speedometer went out and after 850 spent at the dealer to replace the two speed sensors and speed servo head, he tells me that it was actually a gear assembly INSIDE the Transfer Case. $50 part - Five and a half hours worth of labor to replace it. So, I did it myself, easy to do if you are the patient type and have the correct tools, or you can get a recycled Transfer case (mine came with a 1 year warrenty, for $575). Takes about two hours to drop and replace the transfer case. The Instructions in the Hayes Manual are very good. Just remember to torque every thing and put lock-tite on the Drivetrain bolts and after driving about a week re-check all bolts for tightness.

Good luck any questions feel free to email me.

Rich Webb Issaquah, WA

Reply to
Rich Webb