1996 Ford Explorer XLT V8 AWD Heater Core...Easy or Hard?

The heater core is leaking on my 1996 Ford Explorer XLT V8 AWD. I can see and smell steam coming from the Vents. Has anyone replaced a heater core for this model? Is it easy or hard? I'm debating on whether to take it to a shop or not. Any insight or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman

Didn't get any feedback on this. But, I went ahead and tackled the project myself. Apparently, the 1995-99 Explorer is a different design which requires removing the instrument panel to get to the heater. It took me 12 hours from start to finish, including a couple meal breaks. The Chilton manual was helpful, but I had to figure most of it out on my own. Definitely, not an easy task. I've replaced the transmission in my 68 mustang a couple times and it was easier than this. The bright side is that I saved about $900 by doing it myself. The dealership quoted me $940 over the phone. I picked up a heater from Kragen for $40.

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman

Here's some pictures of what your 95-99 Explorer will look like when replacing the hearter core.

Enjoy!

Oh, and did I mention, I saved NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA!!

Reply to
jonezzzman