9007 Headlight Bulb Connectors Melted

Hell all, I have a pair of aftermarket 9007 Xeon 100watt bulbs. Well, the headlights went out today [Not entirely off, but like dim] and I originally though it was the bulbs. After close inspection of the inside of the connectors, they actually melted causing the headlights not to work properly. I went to Napa and I can actually buy new standard connectors and just cut the factory connectors off and slice new ones on. But, I think this is bound to happen again. So I went searching the net for heavy duty connections and came up with these:

Do you think these connectors are really built better? Anyone have any experience with this?

I was also thinking of splurging and get getting the 9007 HID 7000K upgrade/conversion kit. You can pick one up for around 400 - 500$. Has anyone thrown HID in their explorer? If so, what package, brand, were you satisfied? Was it a difficult installation? Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Reply to
Justin Keller

I just knew all those aftermarket bulb kits were trouble...

Robert A. Matern

The problem is using over powered bulbs with the small pins in the 9007 bulb. The heavier wire of a decent harness will help, but the pins in the base of the bulb are the choke point.

Reply to
Ed Mann

P.S. You can get 9007 connectors prewirted with #12 wire from:

mailto: snipped-for-privacy@vrx.net

See details at:

Ed Mann

Saves you from wirting them yourself ! :)

Chief Wiggum

Found a company in Los Angeles that stocks 'high temperature' aftermarket

9007 connectors for dirt cheap. 3.95 each. :) LOL, What A Great Deal. If anyone wants their address let me know. Crossing my fingers that these new connectors will hold up. I'll let you all know.

I might order the Philips 9007 HID conversion kit as well. If I do I'll post pictures and information after the installation. CHeers.

Reply to
Justin Keller