1992 Corolla Headlight Bulb Replacement

Hey there.

My two headlights just went out. I bought new bulbs but can't figure out how to remove the old ones. I don't want to shell out the money for a repair manual just yet. I need to know what screws to remove and any other pertinent info. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Reply to
Quino

I had a similar problem with car. I found the answer in my owner's manual. Perhaps you will find the answer in yours.

You can also go to the auto parts store that sold you the lights and ask them. Or go to autozone.com. They often have directions on line for this sort of thing.

If the two headlamps went out at the same time, I would be concerned that there is a wiring or switch problem.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the Owner's Manual never made it to me. Must have been lost over the past 16 years.

Reply to
Quino

It's pretty simple if it's like my other three TOYS, but not having a '91one, I can't say for certain.

Two points: First, as Jeff said, if BOTH lights went out at the same time, odds are 10 zillion to one that you have some sort of electrical problem and new bulbs will also be zapped pretty quickly -- I have just never seen two go out at once.

Second, odds are your local library has a Haynes or Chilton manual that will detail just how to do this....or you can try the AutoZone site.....it's just that they never to seem to have any model that I own in the AutoZone database....

Reply to
timbirr

If they went out at the same time, that is unusual and I would suspect another component.

If not, the bulb socket probably just turns (usually left) from under the hood behind the light assembly to release it from the reflector and then you can hold it to change out the bulb.

Don't touch the glass of the new bulb with your hand so as not to get any skin oils on it. Use a latex glove if you have one. If you do touch it with your bare hands or get anything foreign on it, it will burn it out quite readily. If you do touch it, wipe it off with brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol before reinserting it into the reflector. Just make sure the glass of the bulb is very clean.

If it's not the bulbs, it maybe the headlight control relay. It is located under the hood on the inside of the left fender just above the tire.

I think it's in a cluster of relays and fuses and I believe it's the second relay from the right, closest to the outside of the car as you face the engine, standing next to the left front tire. The relay itself and or the socket it fits into may be labeled.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, you might want to look for a resource (dealer, Internet, etc.) to get an owners manual. They are usually a wealth of information.

Reply to
user

While you're digesting all the good advice you've gotten so far, I'll add one more thing:

DO NOT FIDDLE WITH ANY SCREWS. Chances are you'll mess up your headlight alignment.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or go here:

If the headlamp is indeed held in place by a couple of springs, it should be pretty easy to figure out how to replace.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

OK. Thank you guys for all the helpful info. I now have enough to go on.

Reply to
Quino

It's pretty simple if it's like my other three TOYS, but not having a '91one, I can't say for certain.

Two points: First, as Jeff said, if BOTH lights went out at the same time, odds are 10 zillion to one that you have some sort of electrical problem and new bulbs will also be zapped pretty quickly -- I have just never seen two go out at once.

Second, odds are your local library has a Haynes or Chilton manual that will detail just how to do this....or you can try the AutoZone site.....it's just that they never to seem to have any model that I own in the AutoZone database....

Autozone does have the 1992 Corolla repair info in its database.

Reply to
Ray O