91 Explorer, broken seat back pull lever, anyone else?

I gave it a yank the other day to move the seat back more straight and crack! It broke.

I looked at the broken part under a magnifying glass and one side of the crack was rusted, meaning a defective part from Ford. Grrrr.

Ford Parts say they no longer stock that braket part.

Has anyone else come across this? I'm thinking of getting a spot weld at some muffler shop. Sound good?

-- Riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

Mine hasn't broken yet, but it will someday. My driver's seat is sagging a bit, and my 215 pound bulk causes the lever to bend downward. I pulled it back up a couple of times, only to have it bend again. Now I leave it alone except for when I want to change the seatback rake angle, but it's fatigued and will eventually snap.

So they're not available? I find that hard to believe...if I were you, I'd check with another dealer. Failing that, I'd peruse the junkyards before getting it welded.

Good luck!

Reply to
Kevin DeAngelis

IIRC, it is a federal (US federal, that is) requirement that parts be available for 10 years... that there are no OEM parts available for something over 10 years old should hardly be a reason for disbelief.

I often comment about failures that I find hard to believe to my workmates..... the general concensus is that people put off repairs until the failure is catastrophic. Many of these failures involve foodstuffs, softdrinks, pocketchange, window scrapers, tools (usually visegrips and crescent wrenches), sundry articles and 'expired' disposible diapers. And you think your job is tough...

When problems are first noticed is the time to address them...... there is no satisfaction to be gained from waiting until the damned thing wont work at all since the bad part(s) will eventually take good parts to the grave with them.

After several years in the 200+ range, I'm finally back to a more manageable

190ish...... I have yet to experience sagged seats, pooched recliners or sundry other problems commonly associated with being large. I do see simple fixes left until they are spendy fxes.

FWIW, anything that has to do with seat positioning is indeed a safety related item..... when things go terribly wrong (motor vehicle mortality rates suggest this happens a lot) is the wrong time to be fighting both car AND driving position...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Not really. That truck is 13 years old. The rust only means that the piece was cracked long enough for rust to form. That could have been only a few months depending on where you are.

Ten years is the norm; you could try a wrecking yard.

That should work. Good luck!

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

Mine broke on my 97 EB driver side too. Took it all off, and welded in a stiffiner and all is well now. Better than ever. Can be done.

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

"Gerald Riggs" wrotenews:AcSdnU4O-OB1ZA3cRVn- snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:

I'm trying to figure out how to do it in place; it looks like a bitch to take apart. The lever handle (broken) is connected to two fixed pins on the seat back mechanism, using a spring to pull the cog-stopper and set the seat postition, and all this is one and part of the whole left side seat braket, lever, etc. I figure it I put a piece of wood in between the leather sides and the part to be spot welded, that will probably work, if the welder can be precise and do a quick spot weld.

Will think more on this.

My local junk though said when they have ford explorer leather front seats, they get $200 for the pair. Since my side panels are kind of ratty and cracked, I might just try and find some 94 with great seats and be done with it. Leather repair maybe $120, and spot weld, maybe $25, vs another $75 for better seats?

-- riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

My 97 recline lever broke as well, but the dealer fixed it for free last year. Nothing was said about it but it may have been a silent recall. Searcher 1

Reply to
Searcher

Evil is sooner believed than good.

Good luck beats early rising.

-- Lady Chatterly

"You and PsychoticBarb are twins, right?" -- Still_lying_about_Marty

Reply to
Lady Chatterly

"Searcher" wrotenews:BXskd.5070$9u2.95 @trnddc01:

Went by a Meineke muffler shop and the guy spot/tack/arc welded it on for $20 cash.

Works great. Smell of singed leather will go away soon, I hope. :)

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi