1995 explorer limied ed. transmission failing

i am looking for some ideas on transmission repairs, i have just experienced some slippage in reverse and forward at low speed. i got the fluid and filter changed and found a small metal chip in the pan. should i be looking to rebuild this tranny at 238 k or should i try to find a replacement at a wrecker for approx 1000 cdn. also how can i troubleshoot transmission. thanks for ideas

Reply to
up north

"up north" wrotenews:87ied.1859$%k.567@pd7tw2no:

How many model years for your tranny? Wrecker yards are notorious for not giving any info on the parts; you might get one that has 200 k on it!

It's better to get it rebuilt at an honest tranny shop (NOT AAMCO).

Oh, and your description says to me it's toast.

-- riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

Reply to
up north

"up north" wrotenews:al9fd.20228$nl.5426@pd7tw3no:

So you are saying 86- 95 are your tranny years? That doesn't make sense because the explorer first year was 91, unless they used an old transmission from a previous series?

That still doesn't make sense because they changed trannies in 94. 95 is a diferent model altogether.

Anyway, a rebuild consists of replacing all the soft parts; gaskets, wearable items, seals, stuff like that and a new torque converter.

Most hard parts, gearing etc, should be ok, but if not, extra cost.

AAMCo will give you basically a brand new transmission for $3,000, because they don't trust their "mechanics" so they just fit in a new one from their own factory and it's almost new in everything. Quality stays high and basic install can't go too wrong, but then they're not qualified to replace much else if they find anything else wrong. AAMCO has to live down a terrible reputation, like Sears has to with their automotive repairs as they've been caught numerous times in many states over many years screwing their customers in many ways.

I found a recommendation on my local newsgroup for a transmission guy, and I used him and was very happy. Another friend took his van into this guy and they guy replaced a simple electrical part for $300, instead of the $15,00-$2000 job my friend was expecting! You might ask around.