New transmission

Hello. I have a 99 explorer sport SOHC 99K miles. I just had the entire transmission replaced: torque converter, transmission, bell housing with pump. Sorry if I don't know all of the parts, that's pretty much what they told me.

Just picked it up, it runs great.

Just curious as to cost. I paid 2450.00 to an independent shop and was wondering if this was a fair price. I tried to shop around a bit but it is time consuming and did some research on the internet as to cost. But again, it was confusing as to what parts can be fixed separately, what composed a total cost and what people described and what they paid.

For instance, they broke it down to me like this: torque converter, new part from ford $900 to install. torque converter plus soft transmission rebuild $1500. all of the above plus a new transmission, $2450. Which is what ended up happening.

Does it sound about right? Can someone explain the parts?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
jtblue33

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (jtblue33) wrotenews:71a89f55.0411030737.434ebb61 @posting.google.com:

Did you read some of the "transmission" threads here already or does your news server suck so bad they have already disappeared?

I got a great deal from an nice shop for $1400, which replaced the torque converter, all the soft parts (a rebuild kit) and the ODrive hard parts that had come apart. He told me normally he would have charged $1900 for the same job, but he gave me a break.

It doesn't sound too bad, not a giant rape. Not like AAMCO.

-- riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

Just had an AODE rebuilt..

included rebuild, Torque Converter, sprag and drum. $1,250.00 out the door tax ^&all.

I had gotten other bids of $2,000 - $2,500 so even though it was a lot of money I felt pretty good about it.*shrug*

what the hell happened to those $250.00 trans jobs you could get 10 yrs ago :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Whatever happened to not having to have any transmission work done on your vehicle? How in the hell did all of those cars, years ago, make it without having to have their trannies rebuilt? My parents owned a 1968 Mustang with a V-8 and never ever had a problem with the transmission and I never knew person who had to have significant transmission work done like I do nowadays.

Now doubt the current situation regarding the abundance of transmissions being rebuilt has a lot to do with the computers and electronics on the newer vehicles.

Reply to
oz

Personal opinion... Back then, a vehicle reacing 100,000 miles was unusual. Now, reaching 100.000 miles means it's just about broken in. Odometers then only had 5 spaces (plus tenths), now they have 6, because the vehicles last so much longer. Times change; trannies now have much longer to go bad.

Electronics aren't a bad thing. When's the last time you had to have your pointless ignition timed?

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

That and a lot of cars (including the mustang you quoted) never used to last much more than 100k miles. It wasn't common for an auto tranny to fail because it never saw the kind of mileage current ones do routinely.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W
300,000+ miles on the Mustang and never a transmission problem. And, actually, I knew a lot of people who had over 100,000 miles on their vehicles without transmission problems.

Reply to
oz

Yes, but that wasn't normal. The fact that you *remember* those examples points that out. How many of your friends have cars with over 100K on them? It's just not remarkable now. I clearly remember that when a car went over 100K miles without major engine work, the owner would appear in commercials and/or ads saying that he used such-and-such a product to help it reach that milestone.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

"Chief_Wiggum" wrotenews:R%Bid.44837$G15.10301@fed1read03:

$1,250 is one of the cheapest prices I've seen. Congrats.

It's the same syndrome as ignorant American tourists who tip too much...they then spoil the natives for the next reasonable American on a budget that comes after.

I think too many ignorant girls and people who don't bother shopping and are completely mystefied by mechanics and are willing to beleive any story told by a guy in a mechanics shirt, a name tag that says "Mr. Bubba" and a solemn face with a clipboard. Then the mechanics think everyone is rich and dumb and just start overcharging everyone.

And of course, every mechanic thinks he deserves a big house, two cars, full health insurance and lots of toys too!

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

"oz" wrotenews:ku6jd.5429$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

You have to remember progress, or lack of it.

See, most of the rest of the parts on automobiles, from brakes, batteries, tires, especially engines and more last a whole lot longer than before.

Some things like Auto and clutch transmissions are only lasting a little bit longer becuase basically they're the same old technology with tiny improvements.

And remember, most cars built in America pre 1990 didn't last hardly at all and were piles of junk after 6 years.

American cars made in the 70's were lucky to last 3 years without some major rebuild, like valves, rings, gaskets, new clutch, total brake system failure, total muffler rusted out and more.

More cars are needing transmissions therefor because the car is lasting longer, you're keeping them longer, driving more miles and the transmissions haven't kept up.

Remember, the AAA used to use 12,000 miles a year as a benchmark. It's now

15,000 mpy.

-- riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

Big Bill wrotenews:iduqo0t1lafeamljn04oe6ev3b6cgqgpk0@

4ax.com:

Besides, people who buy crappy badly made cars that everyone laughs at when they drive it, tend to get rid of them quickly, forget they ever owned it and go do some research the next time before they chunk down $24,000.

I'm thinking of most chrysler, dodge, fords, any french car, italian cars and chevrolets.

But, when you get lucky and buy a winner, you crow about it and you tell everyone, because that makes you look smart, not dumb like the forgotten

1984 Plymouth Voyager or Dodge Caravan you bought and lost your shirt on, talking about infamous auto transmissions and all.

-- riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

That's the American dream. Anyone who is willing to work for it, deserves it. H

Reply to
Hairy

Well, you will have to admit that a 300k mile mustang is a rare thing indeed. The cars were cheaply built and the designers never intended for them to last so long.

I do now, too. It's not the single instances, but the averages that make the case one way or the other

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W

"Hairy" wrotenews: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

I am willing to work hard. Will you then guaruntee me a big house, a nice new car, full health insurance, a vacation every year and more? I only have a high school education and no money saved up, so I have to work at a mechanic for a shop. I deserve what you have. Will you share your wealth with me then?

Wait! I forgot. This isn't Russia about 20 years ago is it? Never mind.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

Update. So after picking up the transmission on the 3rd, I drive 200 miles on the 5th. The next day, preparing to put new shocks in, I look under there and see transmission fluid all over the place, drips on the road too!

They overfilled it!!!!! By a lot too.

I can't believe this. The one thing I can do in a transmission (check and maintain fluid), the experts F*$% up!

I am telling you, you can't trust anybody! I hate it when mechanics touch my car. No offense to any mechanics out there but I don't make this stuff up: Each and every time I have taken my vehicles in for repairs that I can't do or it's too cold out to do, something is either missing, hanging off, or not put back correctly!

I HAVE HAD IT.

Reply to
jtblue33

Does this mean you're in the market for more tools? Or a bicycle?

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill