'93 sport : 4 WD not engaging

well this past noreaster this weekend made me glad to have 4 wheel drive until I got in it and it didn't work ! It started to act up occasionally where I would hit the 4X4 button on the dash and it simply wouldn't engage . My mechanic said there was a little electronic motor that Ford used that makes the 4x4 mode engage and they seem to fail with age from infrequent use and sitting idle most of the year . I guess that's why they say it's good to turn your A.C on occasionally even in the winter . Use it or lose it . Well back to the problem , I hear a clicking sound ( behind me somewhere - like a relay sound ) but no clunking sound like I usually hear when it engages . Is this a big expensive job or not a big deal and will it come up in the computer code as a problem ? Thanx for any help . Ron

Reply to
Ron N.Y

Nobody else had this problem ? Mechanic made it sound like it was a common problem , said it should cost roughly between $200- $300 if it's the motor that engages the 4WD . Anyone else have this repaired that can share what it cost them ? thanx again Ron

I got in it and it didn't work ! It started to

wouldn't engage . My mechanic said there was a

seem to fail with age from infrequent use and

your A.C on occasionally even in the winter .

behind me somewhere - like a relay sound ) but no

job or not a big deal and will it come up in the

Reply to
Ron N.Y

Ron

Yes, the 4x4 shift motor is a trouble area. The symptom usually is that you push the dashboard button and nothing happens - no light, no sound, nothing. If you are hearing a clicking sound, I don't think it is the motor. But maybe others here will have a different opinion.

When my motor goes out on my 92, I get underneath the vehicle and tap it with a hammer. Works every time. But there is a Web site we here use to diagnose this problem and to repair the motor. Here it is:

There also is a pretty complicated procedure in the Explorer shop manual for testing the 4x4 system in the module (in the back of the vehicle forward of the rear windshield washer fluid reservoir). You need a volt meter and patience.

The web site will give you some pretty good tips for your particular year Explorer. And yes, being without your 4x4 in such weather is VERY frustrating.

Good luck.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Reply to
Ron N.Y

ouch , $451 to replace the motor including labor . That's smarts ....

Ron

over to the shop this morning to have my mechanic

I wish I knew where the thing even was so I

to do that for too long especially in the snow

in message

Reply to
Ron N.Y

Ron:

Visit the Expy owners website at

and look up the 4x4 not engaging articles. There is a very complete description of what repairs are necessary and depending upon your abilities, you may be up to the task yourself. That said, some in our group have had good sucess with the "hit the electric shift motor with a 2x4" temporary repair. I'm not making that recomendation, I'm just saying that others have reported that it had worked for them. BTW the electric shift motor can be found under the truck, attached to the back of the transfer case. HTH,

-Steve

Reply to
SASCHOCH

Yes Ron, It is expensive. That's why everyone pretty much does the work themselves. And it'll be even more frustrating if the new one starts acting up. That motor is definitely one of those "Ford tough" parts. Sure do wish Ford would go to "Toyota tough" standard or something like that. Incidentally, the labor for replacing the motor should be like nothing. So that's what it was? And that fixed your problem?

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Yep that's what it was . Picked it up last night and it works fine now . They charged me $320 for the motor plus $120 to install plus tax . I called Ford and they wanted $320 for the motor . I assume the shop gets a 20 % discount or whatever but I thought he was entitled to what he charged me so I paid and went on my merry way . I'm not saying I couldn't install it myself but I would rather let them do it and pay them . But thank you for the help , this is a great group with loads of experience . I for one appreciate it . Happy Holidays to all ! Ron

P.S , other than the pinging problem I had posted on here recently , which by the way I was never able to fix and just use high octane now . The truck has 75k miles on it and has been a great reliable truck . Other than routine maintenance , this motor was the only and most expensive repair I've had to do as the original owner .

Reply to
Ron N.Y

Excellent Ron. Glad you were able to get you 4x4 back. Too bad you couldn't get that ping issue fixed. Ford recommends against using higher octane because the stability of higher octane fuels only contributes to poorer burning, which leaves deposits, which results in further "octane creep." But if you can't figure any other solution, I guess it's your only other choice. I'm no expert in figuring out sources of ping, so I can't help you there.

Good luck.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni