AC compressor not engaging

I bought a 2001 chevy venture a few months back and today tried the AC for the first time and turning the AC on does not change the air temp one bit. after looking at it more carefully, i realized that when i push the AC button, usually there is a little sound and the engine noise changes when at idle as the compressor engages.

well i opened up the hood and noticed yeah.. pushing the AC button does not engage the compressor.

is there a simple way to check if its just a bad electrical connection to the compressor from the AC button?

if the solenoid is bad in the compressor, does that require replacing the entire compressor?

can anything other than a bad electrical connection or faulty solenoid cause the compressor not to engage at all?

thanks

steve

Reply to
neoplasticity

Being low on charge is another reason a compressor clutch wont cycle on.

Reply to
<HLS

Sure. Do you have power to the compressor clutch ? Easily checked with a test light.

No solenoid in the compressor. Do you meann the compressor clutch ? If so you should be able to replace it seperately.

Yes. The system could be low on refrigerant and the low pressure switch would keep the sytem from working so you don't burn up the compressor.

Reply to
Mike

Did you try turning the thermocontrol all the way to cold as it would get?

Reply to
commandokid

Let me try that again,I meant temp.control.

Reply to
commandokid