94 A4LD Thanks to ALL

You people saved me $2000! Because of the help I received here, I did not let my shop (ex-shop) replcae the A4LD tranny in my 94 Explorer. I replaced the $37 vacuum modulator instead. Been driving it for a couple of weeks now and it is DEFINATELY fixed!

I took the advice of someone and pulled the passenger seat, the carpet, the console and the access cover off the top of the tranny hump. It was an all day job but I did it. And sure nuf, that little rascal of a "pushrod" popped out and fell right on the ground but I found it and got it back in place.

Just to recount the symptoms that I experienced: Tranny slipping; Tranny fluid "disappearing" (by the quart); Vacuum lines at PCV fitting (has about 6 lines) soft, and coated with tranny fluid.

What a deal and I made BIG points with the Mrs.! I don't have much to offer here but I do work the newsgroups at autodesk.com if any of you need AutoCAD support...

Buy the way... There is one vacuum port without a vacuum line at the PCV valve. Currently the ones connected are: the tranny vacuum modulator, 3 small "poly" pipes, and a large line going over to some kinda bladder on the driver wheelwell. I forget but there might also be one to the master cylinder. There is one that has no hose. Anybody know what the missing line goes to?

Reply to
rj

If I remember correctly, on mine there was no connection on one of them. It was capped.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

If not for this newsgroup I probably would have gotten rid of my two Explorers ('91 & '92) a long time ago! Got 194,000 and 270,000 miles on them.

On both of them one of the vacuum ports is not used and is plugged.

Reply to
Ulysses

Reply to
Big Shoe

Thanks to all... I guess that little pluged piece of vacuum hose on that one port blew off whan the tranny fluid started getting sucked up into the system. I've plugged it since replacing the vacuum modulator with no apparent ill effect.

Reply to
rj