Easiest way to replace Vacuum Modulator

Well i found the easiest way to replace the modulator instead of dropping the cats. it took me 45 mins to do the whole job.. all you have to do is,

- Remove both pasenger and driver seats

- Remove Center console (if you have it)

- Pull back the carpet so that the Transmission tunnel (hump) in the floor is completely exposed

- You will then see a silver access panel in the center of the "hump"

- remove the access cover, and look down and to the right, there it is

- Remove the Heatshield (10mm bolt)

- Disconnect the vacuum line

- Remove the modulator bracket (also 10mm bolt)

- Then the modulator just pulls out of the tranny

****** DONT LOSE THE SILVER PIN IN THE CENTER OF THE MODULATOR!! REPLACEMENTS DO NOT INCLUDE THIS AND IT IS CRUCIAL TO TRANNY OPERATION******

- After transferring the pin to the new mod. simply push it into the tranny until it clicks in place, then install the bracket, heat shield, access panel, carpet and seats , and you are all set.. much easier than dropping the exhaust system (ive done it that way too)

Reply to
Fordman93

Thanks for your info, I almost change my modulator, but after I saw where it was, thought better of it. Now I know better. Gary

Reply to
Gary

Thanks a million! I did exactly what you said, and it was just an hour or so of actual work. Didn't fix my problem, but the modulator was definitely bad. Beat the dog out of staring up at the bottom of my Explorer!

Thanks

tweaks

Reply to
tweaks

As I posted elsewhere, I took it into the tranny shop, and they replaced the servos for $225 - seems to work like a charm now, though the modulator was definitely bad...

Reply to
tweaks