94 AC Compressor Replacement

The clutch seized on my AC compressor so I've picked up a new/reman from the parts house. Questions:

1) Tag on new compressor says is shipped with "minimal" oil. What kind of, how much and where should oil be added?

2) Got a new "dryer" at the same time but see no way to "break" the old one out. Hoses seem to use some type of non-breakable fittings. How are these hoses disconnected?

Thanks in advance and yes it is winter here in Florida but the highs have been in the 60's lately and summer is on its way ;-)

Reply to
rj

Well first, the oil in an AC sys distributes itself all through the the system when operating. When you pull a component and replace it you should basically put the same amount of oil back in as came out with the old component (by any chance did you drain and measure the oil in the old compressor ?). Same goes for the dryer. There is exact guidance in the service manuals on component oil replacemant quantities. The Ford manual for a 95X says

"if the amount of oil drained from the removed compressor is between 4 and

5 oz pour the same amount of new oil into the new compressor". Different answer if you drain more or less out. It does not say where to add the oil. I think there is a plug. The oil quantity for the accumulator drier is 3 oz.in a 95X.

In a 94X I think you might be looking at R12 refridgerant too. Another problem. Might want to consider switching to a "drop in" replacement like Freeze 12. It works good. Might be R134a. Be sure.

Now replacing the dryer. Ford makes it so you can replace the dryers. The connections are probably spring lock fittings and require a special removal tool to open.

Doing this work is not diffulct but getting the system to really work good is.

Take care - Jerry

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

As Gerald has indicated, there is much more to AC repair than installing new parts. Even the instructions from the supplier assume that you are familiar with AC repair. To avoid repeat failures, I recommend purchasing a manual to help you with your endeavour. I'm not sure about the generic shop manuals but most factory manuals do have a listing of any caveates. It is important to familiarize ourselves with those things we are trying to repair... if we don't know how they work we can cost ourselves needlessly...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks all for the excellent advice.

Reply to