94 fuel pump not running

The fuel pump in my 94 Explorer quit yesterday, leaving my wife and daughter stuck on a busy street. I've checked the fuse, and it's ok, and swapped the relay with another, and the fuel pump is still not working. Anyone have any other suggestions before I take it in to get it fixed/replaced?

It has around 125k miles on it.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Did you reset the fuel pump disable switch located to the right of the center hump, on the firewall, under the carpeting, right where the passenger's left foot would normally rest.?

dickm

Reply to
dicko

You need to be careful when swapping relays..... I can't recall what year it started, but it is very commonplace for Ford to "piggyback" relays, i.e. one relay will perform an action and, at the same time, energize another relay. Bottomline... swapping relays isn't a good diagnostic procedure and we need to be careful when doing this that we haven't just moved the problem upstream or downstream.

YMMV

snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu

Reply to
Jim Warman

I checked it and it was not tripped.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

I did some more checking this morning, and the fuse for the EEC is blown. I'm going to get another one and see if it blows again - if so, something is amiss with the engine computer.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Looks like the computer is bad - the new fuse blew too. :-(

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Mike.... don't spend any money on a PCM until you are sure that you don't have a simple wiring problem. There's not much that can go internally wrong that will burn a fuse. Unplug the PCM, install a new fuse and see if it still blows with the PCM disconnected....

snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu

Reply to
Jim Warman

snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu

Reply to
Chris

I would but it's at the shop being looked at. I couldn't find any information on where the PCM is on my Explorer, so even if I wanted to unplug it I'd have to find it first.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

It was a solenoid for the fuel evap system that was causing the PCM fuse to blow.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Did you ever find where the PCM is located?

M.J.Carter Alex, VA

my just won't start after harder and harder cranking times. Got me home, but won't start now. Its like 20 here so i thinking water in the line? I'll check the fuses, 173K on mine. Did you have longer starting problems or did it just die?

Reply to
LimelightInc