95 Explorer, AC has blown warmer and warmer over time

Howdy,

I have a 95 Explorer XLT 2x4. I don't believe the AC has ever been serviced. It has progressively blown less cool over the years, until about a month ago it now just blows hot air.

If I turn it on now for a few seconds, I get a funny smell coming through my vents, like ozone or something.

Is this normal for the AC to progressively get warmer, and is the solution normally just to have it recharged?

Or could this be a sign of a bigger problem?

Reply to
Mike

Bite my tongue, bite my tongue, bite my tongue....

No... you have a problem.... take it to someone well versed in AC repair an have it dealt with. Bear in mind that there are many things that can affect the discharge temp of the AC system. On something this old, I would automatically suspect refrigerant volume but there's no way of telling without monitoring pressures and clutch cycling times under controlled circumstances. There are other circumstances (such as the famous lend air door problem ) that can affect discharge temps so a performance test is called for.

I wish I could recommend a shop for you since many shops don't go quite as far as they need to in diagnosing problems. Sadly, cheap will always be cheap but spendy is no guarranty of good.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

bummer, I figured the answer would be something like that. I guess I'll start with the dealership and see what they estimate is wrong / what they will charge, and then have a few other shops check it. (or maybe I'll just say screw it an save the money an suffer a bit during the hot Texas summer :-)

Reply to
Mike

It may just be that you need to have the refrigerant recharged, but you still need someone qualified to do it.

Reply to
John Riggs

I have a similar problem, which i posted last week. however, i get kool air on max ac, but on min ac it blows out hot after a couple minutes. PEP BOYS AUTO did a diag and couldnt really figure it out. but the BLEND AIr door is possibly the problem and is very expensive to replace. Recharging may not solve the problem.

Reply to
micfran

Ok, I think I've found the problem. I've noticed a rattling noise under the hood while the cars running. The noise is coming from the compressor.

I notice that the pully wheel is discolored, like it's been over heated, and the compressor is covered in a grease or oil coating.

I have dropped it by the Ford dealer, and the guy said it looks like the AC compressor clutch (?) has burned out (or something to that affect.

They haven't called with an estimate or to tell me exactly what they think is wrong.

My question, does this mean the entire compressor needs to be replaced? or can the pulley wheel and bearings be replaced?

What's a typical replacement cost for a 1995 Explorer compressor replacement? And, is this something I can get at Autozone and replace myself?

Reply to
Mike Hanby

Clutch / pully / magnet assy runs around $90.00 at a discount parts house.

Can you do it yourself ? Maybe.

I guess it depends on your abilities under the hood. It's basically 1 bolt and a spring clip that holds it on, but access usually prevents just popping it on and off!

If your parts house has a loaner tool program, and has the clutch tool that would be a good way to go. Other than that you may find yourself banging and prying on it and wind up wrecking the compressor in the process.

And there's always the possibility that you'll replace the clutch and then find that the compressor (or something else) is bad as well. *shrug*

anyway, good luck with it!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum