97 4.0L Stalling

My wife is complaining about our Ford Explorer (97) stalling while she is driving at approximately 35 on a narrow hilly road. It has only happened twice in the past month but it has not stalled in many a year. Currently

126K miles. It is a well maintained car (but question how I can say that with the stalling). I did buy a cheap code reader and it is referencing codes of P0171 and P0174 which are right and left bank too lean.

Any recommendations on possible causes?

Thanks

Reply to
Art McClinton

I can't swear to this because I have so many Fords but I seem to remember my daughter's '97 stalled a couple of times. I think I cleaned the IAC, throttle body, MAF, put in a new air cleaner, and cleaned the connection on the Crankshaft Position Sensor. No stalling for a couple of years now. These items may not necessarily be related as there was, at one time, no spark which was probably the Crankshaft Position Sensor or the battery.

Reply to
Ulysses

Does it tick over rough as well? I remember there was a recall for the timming chain tesioner. Part of this was the renewal of the intake manifold o rings which became hard and stopped sealing the intake manifold, causing unmeasured air into the system, weak mixture.

Reply to
Bigusdickus

Does it tick over rough as well? I remember there was a recall for the timming chain tesioner. Part of this was the renewal of the intake manifold o rings which became hard and stopped sealing the intake manifold, causing unmeasured air into the system, weak mixture.

Good point. I would be good to know if Art has the SOHC or the OHV engine.

Reply to
Ulysses