97 ZJ possible alternator problem

I have a 97 ZJ with the Orvis package. 318 engine, 44RE, 249. It has

145.000. It has been meticulously maintained. Today on the way to work (44 miles one way) I started getting a gravelly rattling noise in the front. I have isolated the noise to the front top of the engine. The noise is louder at the alternator than at the ac. It sounds like rocks in a wheelbarrow being pushed over a cobblestone road. Voltage has not changed. battery is still getting over 13. Question: can it be rebuilt? and if so any recommendations. if it cannot be rebuilt, what would you recommend? My wife won't go near the jeep (a good thing?). I can do all of the work myself and have done all required work on the jeep myself including rebuilding the 249. Can you give me ideas? Thanks
Reply to
mikl

Normally when they start to make noise, they need serious work. Beyond the 'rebuild kit' you can buy. The kit comes with any electronic parts, brushes and bearing. When they make bad noises, usually parts are ground down...

The clutch on the fan can make the kind of noise you are describing too....

Mike

mikl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain