97 Explorer Fuel Filter Removal

I am attempting to replace the fuel filter on a 97 Explorer XLT with 83,000 miles. The filter has never been changed before. I purchased the fuel line removal tool from Autozone and tried to disconnect the lines to replace the filter. The tool is the correct size and slides into the opening but will not disconnect the line. Is there any special instructions I need to follow and should I try to spray the opening with WD-40 or some other type lubricant?

Thanks in advance, Ron Munroe Falls, Ohio

Reply to
RONALD BRUNO

Mud and such will get in behind the fingers on the retainer spring. Before loading the coupling up with WD40, twist the line on the filter to break the rubber O-rings loose. Next, use a medium sized wrench or such to tap on the bell of the coupling..... this will loosen the dirt and (hopefully) much of it will drop out. If you have compressed air, this can also help. Now that we have the fitting relatively clean and theWD40 isn't going to turn it into a ball of goo, push the fitting together, insert the tool and rotate it back and forth as you push the tool into the fitting. That should about do the trick........

Seven years is a bit much...... I have seen many fuel pump failures that we can attribute to restricted fuel filters. My vehicles get fuel filters once per year...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim, Thanks for the advice. I'll try it tomorrow. It didn't look too dirty and the filter will spin but not come apart. I also read in another site that the plastic disconnect tools work much better than the Autozone cheap tool ($5).

Reply to
Ron Bruno

I've found that the plastic ones are convenient for cramped spaces but don't stand up well (but then I use mine a lot more than you'll use yours). I'm not sure about the AZ tool... the OTC tool

and search tool number 7660) isfair to middlin'...... I can't recall where I got mine (purchased in about'85ish) but they are machined aluminum and extremely durable. Unfortunately,as with all new products on the market, they were a tad spendy at $40 each -I have 3 sizes.

Just tried another Google and found a clone....

...... these, I like. No, I'm not affiliated yadda, yadda yadda

Reply to
Jim Warman