97 odd noise at speed

I have a 97 2wd 4.0 OHV 4-door with 120K miles. In the last few weeks, I have had a sound at freeway speeds (greater than 65-70 MPH) that sounds like it is coming from the right front end. It sounds like "mwah" so when I'm going down the freeway and hit about 70 MPH I hear a mwahmwahmwah. My brakes had been squeaking and I can't remember the last time I replaced the pads so I went ahead and put new front brakes on. The right front was a little more worn than the left, but they weren't terribly thin. I havent heard the squeak again, but the freeway noise is still there. The sound has gotten somewhat louder as time has gone on. I only hear it at freeway speeds, and it seems to be speed dependent. The faster I go, the faster and louder the sound gets. Could this be wheel bearings, or should I be checking into something else. I jacked up the front end and gave the front tires a good shake. Nothing seemed too loose. Any suggestions appreciated as this has left me scratching my head.

Reply to
Captain Coleman

Bad/cheap tires ??????

Try rotate and see if the noise moves

Also try rubbing your hand slowly over the tire tread , if it feels smooth going 1 way and choppy going the other that can cause noise.

Reply to
JohanB

I'll try swapping the front and back tires. The noise is somewhat intermittent. It's less prominant on the long flat straightaways. It picks up a little when the crown of the road gets to steep or going around the slightest of curbs.

Reply to
Captain Coleman

Not sure this is it, but there is an issue with " IAC intake moan" known as the moose horn issue in Explorers of that vintage (no joke). Usual solution was to replace the IAC valve. I think that noise showed up at idle as well though so it may not be it...

Reply to
Al Williams

It could be the wheel bearings. If you only hear the noise on a crowned road or on a curve, thats a classic sign of worn bearings because you are putting a load on the outer edge of the bearings, as opposed to a flat straightaway when the load is more centered on the bearings.

Reply to
Mikepier

Reply to
Captain Coleman