Shake when braking

My 2001 Prius pulsates when I apply the brakes very hard at high speeds such as slamming on the brakes at 65-70 miles per hour on the highway during rush hour. I don't notice this pulsation when braking at low speeds. I am assuming that my rotors are warped and the reason I only notice it when I slam on the brakes is that normally when braking at low speeds the generator is doing more braking than the brake pads. I am probably going straight for the brake pads when braking hard. Does this sound right? I am wondering if there could be some balance issue with the generator or motor.

Brian.....

2001 Prius
Reply to
DBLZOOM

That sounds right - the front friction brakes are acting up. If you are having to brake hard enough at freeway speeds to use the friction brakes it's time to have the brakes inspected and at least the front brakes done.

Let me guess: you live in California? The spookiest freeway I ever drove was the one from Oakland to Livermore (the 680?) at rush hour. It would sail along at 70 mph then everybody would stand on their brakes. Then the speed would build up and the whole thing would repeat.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Could it be the ABS system kicking in on your panic stops? Do you have the same sensation when doing a similar panic braking at 30MPH?

and yes, above a certain braking threshold, you'll be on conventional hydrolic brakes as opposed to regenerative braking.

Reply to
mrv

No, I live in Cleveland. I-480. Same scenario, though. 70 then 0. 70 then 0. It's not the ABS kicking in. It is definitely like the feel of a warped rotor. I just didn't know if there was anything else in the braking system that could contribute. Thanks for the replies.

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
DBLZOOM

I took the car to the dealer yesterday. The probelm was a warped rotor. I had the front rotors turned, new brake pads and had the rear brakes adjusted.

DBLZOOM wrote:

Reply to
DBLZOOM