97 SOHC timing chain tensioner

Hello, I would just like to submit an update from a post in Jul 03 reference broken timing chain guide. The dealer said I required a new engine and I asked if the cost would be covered by the campaign 01M01 which extended the warranty for the cam chain guide assembly. (cost of rebuilt engine, parts labour and taxes approx

6500.00 cdn) The dealer's response was, show us all your maintenance records and if we can prove that engine failure was caused by the guide assembly breaking then Ford may cover some of the cost. I would bear the cost of tearing apart the engine and an oil analysis. According to the dealer my maintenance records were insufficient, I said I did some oil changes on my own, the dealer wanted official oil change receipts. Since, I didn't know how much Ford would kick into the price of a rebuilt engine and could I really trust the dealers findings I requested that the dealer just do the work from the campaign 01M01. (replace the tensioner, clean out the broken pieces from the guide assembly, change the oil pick up system, etc)

My thought was that the campaign cost would be covered by Ford and maybe the engine my be still operational. If the engine was not I would bring it to a private garage and have the engine replace for about $2000.00 less then what the dealer was asking. The dealer had to check with Ford to get the go ahead to do the recall/campaign. After a week I called the dealer and the service rep said they received an email from Ford on the weekend stating to go ahead with the campaign. The dealer told me that they wanted to verify the email first before they went ahead with the campaign. I questioned that logic but got no valid reason. Later the same day I called the dealer and he said that they will not do the recall. The dealer was going to do an oil analysis and tear apart the engine and sent reports to Ford. And if the engine failure was caused by the cam guide assembly breaking, Ford would cover the cost of a new engine. I would not have to pay for this investigation.

During the time my vehicle was at the dealer, I was gathering information from this news group about other people's problem with the timing chain tensioner and guide assembly. (I would like to thank all those people who took the time to share their personnel events in this news group) I submitted a letter to the service manager with the data and he came back stating that there was no evidence that the breaking of the guide assembly caused any engine failure. My engine failure was caused by lack of lubrication.

I was fortunate to get a copy of the technical service bulletin which were the instructions for the technician to perform the campaign 01M01. After I read it I submitted another letter to the service manager, basically stating that the technician had to change the oil pick up system, replace the tensioners with a modified version, (tensioners and gaskets which would retain lubrication when engine was shut off),clean out any debris. I concluded that oil changes alone would not of prevented the cam guide assembly to break. I required the new tensioners which would be lubricated at start up and thus keep the timing chain tight and prevent it from striking the guide assembly. I was told, that the service manager was impressed with my last letter and he was going to push for a new engine. (I gathered information and my wife composed the letter) The service manager later told me he was sending reports to an office in Kansas and he was about 80% sure that I would get a new engine covered by warranty. However, he said he has been wrong in some occasions. Within a couple of days I was informed that Ford would cover the cost of a new engine and I would just have to pay for new parts, fluids, belts, plugs etc. I had no problems with that. At last a good nights sleep.

The timeline for this saga : 11 Jul 03 brought vehicle to dealer, 9th Sep

03 new engine replaced. Cost about $375.00 CDN.

I know I was very fortunate in many ways. I can not thank the service manager at MSA Ford (located near Vancouver) enough.

Thanks John

Reply to
John