timing chain

ive just got hold of a 1998 4.0 XLT. it seems to have a loud rattle and i think its the timing chain. can anyone tell me what else needs to be replaced along with the chain or can i just gat away with a new chain. please help. i would be most gratefull. thanks

Reply to
robbo

My own feeling is that you don't want to go back in there to replace sprockets, jack shaft or tensionner. They are worn as well. Do it all in one shot. It's not that much more and it save time and headache on the long haul.

Reply to
Pascal

I always go with the steel sprocket when I do this, simply because the nylon tends to crack over time.

Reply to
John Riggs

Check with a dealer - there were recalls on the timing chain and tensioner with the SOHC engine.

Reply to
Al Williams

Is that a pushrod engine or SOHC? On my 97 4.0 SOHC, Ford replaced the front cam chain cassette as part of a recall ( I was 2nd owner), not sure if it's still being done, this was several years ago.

Reply to
JnB

I just had mine fixed free at a Ford dealership under a Campaign 00M12 { snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net) I can email u acopy of all the parts they replaced free.

Reply to
mk

Look for Ford Campaign 00M12. 4.0L SOHC Camhaft Chain Tensioner & Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Service Bulletin. My Ford dealer just fixed my year 2000 free. (June 2005). I was told this covers year

1997-2000 Explorers and Moutaineers.
Reply to
mk

thanks for the info that you gave me. im chasing fords as we speak. could you email that list as you stated in your reply. thanks

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
robbo