98 Explorer Alarm

The alarm on my 98 Ecplorer intermittantly goes off. Can anyone tell me where all the sensors are and if there is any way to find out which one is setting the alarm off. Thanks Len in the UK.

Reply to
Len Smith

Hey Len,

I don't know much about the alarm systems, but I transport and I just drove a 2000 about 800 miles for a client. My God! He had an after market alarm installed and somehow they tied that into the factory alarm. If you shut the door to hard, The alarm would trigger, doors would lock and alarm wouldn't reset. Not to mention the ignition key wouldn't pull from the switch unless you turned the steering wheel to just the right position. So every time I stopped to fuel up or eat, it took 10 minutes to get the key out and then as soon as I closed the door to the truck, "lights and sirens" that I couldn't reset. I just gave up, had an extra key made and kept the truck running and locked when i stopped, because as I said, if you leave the key inside and shut the door, they all locked. So I don't know about the sensors, but I feel your pain!! Paul Rochester NY

Reply to
Paul Dill

If it's the factory alarm there aren't any motion sensors or anything like that (at least not on mine). They simply tie into the door sensors so if you try and open the doors while the alarm is activated it will trigger. Are you sure it's the alarm? The panic button on the dongle can sometime get hit accidentally (or if it's flakey or low on batteries) and cause the explorer to start honking.

Reply to
Al Williams

Thanks for the replies It is the standard factory alarm and when it goes off it's usually within 5 mins of me locking the car by pressing the button on the fob. I don't have a 'panic' button and i'm usually out of range so I don't think it's a battery problem.

Reply to
Len Smith

The fob doesn't have a RED button on it??

Alan

Reply to
Alan Moorman

No, just 2 buttons, lock and unlock.