Car won't start, viper alarm goes off w/key in ignition-HELP ASAP!

My daughter just called from work. She's in her car and the viper alarm goes off when she puts the key in. Can someone tell me if there is a on/off switch where it's installed so that she can start it w/o the alarm going off? It's 1 a.m. here and I have no other way for her to get home. She thinks it's a viper 6000 (rpn?) remote car starter w/alarm. Please advise!

Reply to
Becky

Many alarm systems will have a valet switch installed. You need to put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the on position. Then flip the switch. The alarm light will probably go to steady on to let you know the mode has changed. She should then be able to run the car on. She should get the alarm checked out to make sure it is working properly.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

She managed to get a friend to help her out that installs these things. He went there and found the valet box (?) but there's no on/off button! He was surprised at that. They are going to cut the wires today and take it back to the place that installed it.

She just changed the batteries in her remote and it was doing a lot of strange stuff. I found a few links on the net indicating this is a common problem. But she should have been able to turn it off, like you guys said. (And do common car thieves do this to turn off the alarm?! What's the point?) And of course she doesn't know where her manual is, so I'll try to find one online in case this problem is mentioned there.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Becky Brown

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

Reply to