98 Explorer Sport Intermittent Speedometer Problems

The speedo in my 4X2, 5-speed, 4.0 pushrod 98 Explorer Sport has started to work only about half the time.

On a 1,000 mile round trip this weekend, it worked for less than 500 miles. On the way down, it would work for around 100 miles, then not work for about a 100. On the way back it worked for the first 250 miles and then didn't for the second.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it will work or when it won't. About the only sure way I've found to make it work is to take it to a shop to have them check it out.

Computer checks have ruled out the speed sensor.

Now it's either the wires, the head or the computer, but the only way to figure out which seems to be to replace one and see if it fixes the problem, which could be really expensive.

Anybody have any experience with this problem? Any advice?

Reply to
meghan.foote